What does the "Videographer" title cover?

I have been putting off getting a set of business cards made because I'm hung up on finding a nice short blanket term for my services. When I first started, I stuck with "Videographer". As time went on and I realized I had skills aside from shooting and editing digital video, mainly screenwriting and audio engineering.

The heart of my question is, how many different jobs does "videographer" cover? And with "videography", does that create a connotation of only shooting commercials, weddings, and other events? Or can it include the mindset to do narrative or cinematic type projects as well?

Lastly, any design/info tips for a videographer's card?

Thanks

• Premium Member

To me, 'Videographer' connotes a one-man band type of shooter. Someone who operates camera, records audio, and maybe does a little lighting and editing. Type of work would be event coverage, news, weddings, depositions, red carpet, that type of stuff. They sometimes work in two-person teams with a sound recordist, plus a field producer.

A 'Cinematographer' connotes someone who specializes in designing and executing a photographic style for film, television, commercial, and documentary, most often working specifically for a director as a key collaborator. Conceiving plans for coverage, lens selection, lighting, and logistics is all part of the job description. Because of this, there is often less hands-on work with the actual camera. You may not even operate the camera on some projects.

I would say that if you want people to think of you for cinematography jobs, then you should put 'Cinematographer' on your card and start building your reel in that direction. At the lower end of the business, sometimes shooters will go back and forth between the two types of jobs depending on whether they need the work. But as you get towards the higher end, the paths diverge greatly. To do either job well requires a great deal of experience - I know many talented cinematographers who would fail miserably at live event coverage or war correspondence, and vice versa.

• Like 1

To me, 'Videographer' connotes a one-man band type of shooter. Someone who operates camera, records audio, and maybe does a little lighting and editing. Type of work would be event coverage, news, weddings, depositions, red carpet, that type of stuff. They sometimes work in two-person teams with a sound recordist, plus a field producer.

A 'Cinematographer' connotes someone who specializes in designing and executing a photographic style for film, television, commercial, and documentary, most often working specifically for a director as a key collaborator. Conceiving plans for coverage, lens selection, lighting, and logistics is all part of the job description. Because of this, there is often less hands-on work with the actual camera. You may not even operate the camera on some projects.

Is there a word or phrase in the English language that could umbrella both cinematography and screenwriting? In the last year I've been getting more jobs writing for people than anything but I still have a useful arsenal of gear for shoots, would it come off as tacky to throw multiple positions on a single card?

• Premium Member

'Writer-Cinematographer' maybe? Or just 'Filmmaker'?

It's not necessarily tacky but keep in mind the saying, 'jack of all trades, master of none.' There are many potential employers who still believe that. But you have to do whatever works best for you.