Need some help with a simple showreel/work proposal [Marketing ourselves]

Yash Lucid

Hello crew.

While I know the majority of you are likely working in the feature film/TV category, I'm working in the web video & internal video category.

For example, I create small web videos for companies (example) and also internal corporate videos for agencies.

I am looking for some help to word an introduction proposal in an email where I will introduce myself to companies and hope they respond, wanting a meeting and then outsourcing work.

So...

I am appealing to two different target markets.

1. Above & Below the line Advertising Agencies.
  2. Small to medium sized Production Companies.

I need some guidance with regards to making a memorable and intriguing introduction that doesn't appear to be spam or a mass email. I am thinking along the lines of:

Hello <contacts name> (I'll make each intro uniquely out to the person/creative director/producer etc)

My name is Yash & I'm a so and so who does this and that. Here is an example below:

<showreel link on youtube/vimeo>

If you would like to get in touch, please don't hesitate to contact me on <details> and I'll be happy to meet with you to discuss your needs.

So that's the VERY basic initial draft template idea. Should I add in rates? For example my day rate for filming or my rate to for 1 minute of 2D animation? Should I mention that film is my passion or does that tend to become a hard sell, I really don't want to make it a hard sell.

All thoughts and insights valued. Thanks.

It doesn't really matter what you do. Your email will be sent straight to the spam folder, if not just ignored.

Businesses get emails like this all day. There are proven steps that work when selling your work. 1. Give value 2. Rapport 3. Sell and Close. Now, the value part of the equation might be someone you have already been working with recommending you, or, it could be marketing stunts.

Anyhow, for me personally, the most successful way of getting new business, is actually just going to the business and asking for the manager. Flatter them, tell them how you like their concept, and tell them what you do. THEN, you send the email with portfolio, and make follow-up calls.

Keep in mind, you will probably get quite a bit of no's, before the business comes alone. But we are not in this game for it being easy, right?

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't really matter what you do. Your email will be sent straight to the spam folder, if not just ignored.

Businesses get emails like this all day. There are proven steps that work when selling your work. 1. Give value 2. Rapport 3. Sell and Close. Now, the value part of the equation might be someone you have already been working with recommending you, or, it could be marketing stunts.

Anyhow, for me personally, the most successful way of getting new business, is actually just going to the business and asking for the manager. Flatter them, tell them how you like their concept, and tell them what you do. THEN, you send the email with portfolio, and make follow-up calls.

Keep in mind, you will probably get quite a bit of no's, before the business comes alone. But we are not in this game for it being easy, right?

Thanks Jan.

So...new strategy. Phone company, speak to producer, arrange meeting, pitch.

Any tips?

Thanks Jan.

So...new strategy. Phone company, speak to producer, arrange meeting, pitch.

Any tips?

The more needy you seem, the harder the sale will be. Obviously, a great reel, and previous work with reputable clients, will also make it easier for a potential client to give you the project. Value yourself correctly. If you are just starting out, you most likely will not pull off charging the same as a company that has been in business for several years.