low-budget commercial in VNF

David Mullen ASC

• Premium Member

I did this no-budget local spot for a Chinese restaurant for a friend of mine who was directing a bunch of them one month. He did those others on video (SDX900) but he asked me to shoot this one. We wanted it to look like some Chinese propaganda film from the 1960's; we shot it on VNF 7239 (160D) with an Arri-S and an old Ang. zoom lens. Pretty soft overall but it did have a retro look. It was all done on the fast and cheap, with two 575 watt HMI's and almost no crew, nor time. I pulled these frames off of a DVD the director gave me:

maoskitchen1.jpg

maoskitchen2.jpg

• Premium Member

They were a little dirty and we didn't do any ultrasonic cleaning before telecine (on an older Rank). In fact, they added digital scratches & dirt to the image but I pulled frames without those because I don't think they looked realistic.

I did this no-budget local spot for a Chinese restaurant for a friend of mine who was directing a bunch of them one month.  He did those others on video (SDX900) but he asked me to shoot this one. We wanted it to look like some Chinese propaganda film from the 1960's; we shot it on VNF 7239 (160D) with an Arri-S and an old Ang. zoom lens.  Pretty soft overall but it did have a retro look. It was all done on the fast and cheap, with two 575 watt HMI's and almost no crew, nor time.  I pulled these frames off of a DVD the director gave me:

maoskitchen1.jpg

maoskitchen2.jpg

Gasp!

That looks amazing, possibly the best VNF I have seen. I'm not keen on the stock generally but ironically I have a freezer full of the stuff at the moment (because nor is anyone else) but those stills, really change my opinion on it a little. They remind me of the work of Kenneth Anger to be honest. I'm quite amazed by the colour in these stills, a lot of ektachrome I have seen looks sort of washed out. Did you use coloured gels in the first scene at all, it doesn't look like it but....

It really looks quite magical!

Can you tell me where the transfer was done?

love

Freya

Edited by Freya