sin city (again)

i just saw sin city (just in theatres here). i noticed that earlier there was a comment that the project couldn't have been made on film. It was amazingly stylized for sure, but at times I thought it came off as a little too slick or clean. As it seemed to be going for the grainy seedy film noir style, I'd think film, albeit with lots of green screen, would have been a natural choice. Maybe it was to kep the comic-book-ishness to it. Does anyone know if there is an American Cinematographer article out on it?

peace

jason

• Premium Member

It was covered in the April issue of ICG Magazine.

Yes, on the one hand, some silvery grain would have moved the image closer to that of classic film noirs, but away from the look of a printed comic book page, which is grainless.

So I think Rodriguez was going for more of a graphic non-film look, like printed ink on glossy paper, although it could be argued that by simply turning this into a motion picture, he is harkening back to film noir, plus obviously Frank Miller was inspired by film noir (nor could he have drawn the comic book with a film grain texture...)

Comic books haven't always had the same look either.

Modern comic books are printed on glossier paper with modern inks.

Even twenty years ago comic book graphics were not very glossy at all. The paper and ink had much more texture than they do now.

It could be argued that no comic book has the video gamish quality Sin City had at times.

But I digress Rodriguez is totally free and valid to choose the medium he wants for his art.

Edited by tenobell

Rodriguez is a big big fan of HD...

He likes the facility it gives him to accomplish is passion---Direct and DP.

So even if we wanted a gritter look I'm sure he'd had shot it on HD, not film.

I think it will be a rare day in hell when Rodriguez picks up a film camera

At least to shoot one of his movies.

You've lost Rodriguez to the digital video side. :)

• Premium Member
Rodriguez is a big big fan of HD...

He likes the facility it gives him to accomplish is passion---Direct and DP.

Above all he loves to see his on name on the credits:

directed by RR

shot and cut by RR

produced by RR

scored by RR

camera operator RR

sound re-recording mixer RR

visual effects supervisor RR

catering by RR

I hear he does a mean smoked salmon sandwich...

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, being brought up in continental Europe, we never had a relation to Marvel and DC-comics. I was brought up on Tintin, Asterix, Spirou, Gaston, Lucky Luke and the other Belgian comics. We did get Batman and the Phantom, but that was about it.

Therefore all these countless cartoon films from Hollywood completely goes over my head - I judge the few I've seen on how the story plays out, not it's pedigree. And frankly, the story and the execution kinda s**k everytime. Is it just me or is there something inherently undramatic about a hero who has superhuman strengths? I don't get it and I never have. At least Tintin was a regular guy that got himself into jams that he had to get out of - to me that's more dramatic. Not that I want to see Tintin as a live action feature, mind you.

I can however appreciate the look and the execution of certain comic book adaptations. But there's only so much CGI monsters and villains and "cool" Technocrane execution one can stomach, really.

I hope this trend is over soon, 'cause it's clogging up the multiplexes. Sin City looks kinda cool, but the trailer does nothing for me - I can't relate.

• Premium Member
directed by RR

shot and cut by RR

produced by RR

scored by RR

camera operator RR

sound re-recording mixer RR

visual effects supervisor RR

catering by RR

Did he really credit himself as caterer?

At some point you need to stop and think "how pretentious is this really?"

And I just don't like his movies. Sorry, but they're pretty bad.

Nevertheless I wish everyone his luck.