Matching cameras in prep

AlejandroGomez

Hi Guys I need some tips, last time we shoot in multi camera was a little bit messy in postpro. This time we have a multi camera shoot with 3 Alpha 7S. Our profile will be Slog2, my question is what about the White balance, and to get the best a nice match btw the 3 cameras, I read something about the Xrite ColorChecker Passport . Or just a grey card will work?

How do the pro´s will proceed with this?

Thanks in advance

while keeping in mind the limited controls on these cameras...

You will need a color chart, such as the DSC "chroma du monde"

You will need also a waveform/vectorscope monitor.

Set the cameras up to slog 2 and the monitor output to REC 709 (if there is even that option) If not, you'll need a something like an Atomos recorder and install the slog2 to Rec 709 LUT into the recorder for viewing. ( I think some of these recorders also have the waveform/vecorscope as well).

evenly light the chart, set the WB on the master camera and adjust the settings on the others to match. You might need to do this for tungsten lighting and also daylight balanced lighting. Take lots of notes!

Without using the LUT, the changes in a Log image might be too subtle to make these adjustments, if necessary at all since the cameras all the same model.

Since you're shooting sLog, you'll be doing a full on color grade anyway, so, beyond matching settings between the cameras, I'm not sure you'll need to worry too much about the camera matching.