Restoring lost images from old host sites

Dom Jaeger

• Premium Member

I used to upload a lot of images here using the free image hosting service provided by imageshack.

Unfortunately a couple of years ago they went to a paid model and all those images are now dead links. Which is a pity because there was some useful visual information there and quite some effort on my part to document stuff.

Anyone know if you can retrieve those images somehow or reactivate the link? I'm assuming since it was so long ago now that the files have simply been deleted.

I could trawl through my old computer files and find some of the images, but how would I go about replacing the links in old cinematography.com threads? (Maybe that's a question for Tim.)

Anyway, any assistance appreciated.

• Premium Member

I host my images on my own website and then provide an link to the url, though that functions works for any url with an image on it. But I only have so much storage space on my website and some photos from almost a decade ago were removed to make some space, so those links won't work anymore. The internet is not the greatest place for any sort of long-term archiving.

But if your old posts are editable then you'd just provide the new link once you have a place to host those images.

• Premium Member

Web hosting has moved on somewhat.

I have a website hosted by Gridhoster.com which cost me just US$120 for 3 years, (including registering the domain name) with unlimited storage and download.

The catch is that they appear to limit the access speed to stop people hosting their entire movie collection on there but it's damned useful for storing large numbers of relatively small files.

The great thing is you can have no-questions-asked hotlinks to your own images and video files, and there's no ads or other crap that get downloaded with them, plus (as long as you pay your renewal) they're yours for good.

I had visions of putting all sorts of interesting stuff I'd written on there, but I never got past setting up the front page. (Jim Jannard hasn't done any better :-)
Also, if you want to send files to someone, most email accounts are very fussy about what they allow as attachments, whereas with your own private website you can upload whatever you want and people can download whatever they want.

• Premium Member

Anyone know if you can retrieve those images somehow or reactivate the link? I'm assuming since it was so long ago now that the files have simply been deleted.

I could trawl through my old computer files and find some of the images, but how would I go about replacing the links in old cinematography.com threads? (Maybe that's a question for Tim.)

I've had exactly the same problem. The images could be on any of four computers, and I don't know what the filenames are. I've certainly found some interesting photos while looking though :rolleyes: