Microscope camera as video tap?

Carl Nenzen Loven

Hi there,

I have seen several thread on video taps, but all seems a bit outdated, and the information slighlty old.

I recently invest in S16 myself and got myself and Eclair ACL. However I imagine this solution to be working for ANY S16 camera.

I was wondering the best way to build your own video tap, instead of taking it apart. Some attach cameras to the viewfinder, others attach cameras on top of the lens (I have actually seen this).

My idea is a bit more simple.

Amazon sells these microscope cameras.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV53HMU/ref=s9_wsim_gw_g328_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=6HAC28RV4BNQ8TXFSE3V&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

They have a C/CS-mount. Now if you make a nut that can tighten this to the attachment of the viewfinder, would that not work as a solution. Yes you would loose the viewfinder, but you would gain a video assist. Now If you planned using this for your operator, could you not invest in a EVF (like a Zacuto or a cineroid) and still have it as a video tap?

Or a m I missing something?

C

Sure. It will work. But the focal length of the CCD taking lens is critical for the very short distance involved. Some use tiny C Mount spacers to nail the distance from camera focus screen to CCD sensor. Trial and error.