Angenieux 10mm for Super 16 Bolex

Eugene Lehnert

Guest Ian Marks

Retrofocus just refers to the optical design. I believe that Angenieux was a pioneer in bringing retrofocus wide angles to the market, and they were very attached to the word in the same way that Pentax was attached to the word "multicoated."

I have a 10mm Angenieux now and a 10mm Switar on the way, and I'm looking forward to testing them against each other. I'm hoping someone else on this forum can tell us if the Angenieux will cover Super-16 or not (my guess is that it won't). I have been told that some of the Switars will cover - barely - while others will not.

The most obvious difference I can see between the the two lenses is that the Angenieux is a fixed-focus design, while the Switar has a focus ring and actually allows the user to focus quite close. The Angenieux also does not have filter threads, which I find quite annoying. The other Angenieux lenses in the range (15mm, 25mm, 50mm, and 75mm) all take the same hard-to-find Series 5.5 filters via a threaded retaining ring.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
The Angenieux 10mm does not cover Super 16...

I've got a Super 16mm Bolex EBM and my Angenieux 5.9mm covers 99% of the frame with just a hint of vignetting arround the corners. If you are doing a DI or HD work just push in a little, little bit and you're done...

Guest Ian Marks

The Cine-Nikkor does indeed cover Super-16, but they're very hard to find. If you want a C-mount 10mm for Super-16 work, you'd have an easier time finding a Schneider Cinegon 10mm (the model with the larger - about 55mm - front element), which covers with room to spare.

• 10 months later...

Good lord!!!

As I just wrote about a moment ago on another thread, a C-mount Cine-Nikkor 10mm JUST ended on Ebay tonight, and I could not bring myself to bid, since there were so many questions, and answers that were not dependable. But now I read that it does indeed cover Super16!!! Damn!!!!!!! And it ended for right around $200!!! Unless I am mistaken, it seems I have missed an opportunity to buy a very nice wide-angle lens which does cover Super16, and is also as rare as rocking horse manure. Can someone please verify this, so I can walk to the closet, separate all the right shoes from the left ones, put them on, and begin kicking myself in the rear?