Lighting for Photography

willgething

I haven't lit for a photography shoot before. How would I achieve something close to this lighting? I have three kinos to work with. My original idea is a daylight kino from the left and two tungsten kinos from the right and top

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

post-58387-0-90843700-1476967879_thumb.jpg

Edited by willgething

• Premium Member

Sounds about right (assuming you don't need to light the background as well), you'll probably want to white balance for somewhere between 5600k-4500k to skew the tungsten kinos a little warmer than default.

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

I might suggest that the cooler light possibly isn't quite as cool as a full daylight versus full tungsten, but it's somewhat dependent on the subject and you'd need to play with it. If you have kinos, you may wish to try mixing the colour temperature of the tubes to see what you get. You may need to diffuse it a little to avoid colour fringing in the shadows, though, depending on the specifics of the setup.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds about right (assuming you don't need to light the background as well), you'll probably want to white balance for somewhere between 5600k-4500k to skew the tungsten kinos a little warmer than default.

From the angle of that "key", which is so soft, that background is not as close as it appears. She is not casting a shadow and the key is almost head on to her...not the camera, but her face. That background is it's own element, i believe, and is controlled there as. I have a habit of always watching the shadows. I don't think i'm too far off. Lemmy no.