Adjustable Camera and Lens Support

Guest Glenn Brady

Guest Glenn Brady

I've got a variety of long lenses equipped with integral supports (for attachment to tripods, etc.) that I'd like to use with a range of cameras. Super 8 cameras are light enough to 'hang' on the lenses, but heavier cameras (viz., Bolex H-series, Arriflex St, and Arriflex SR) require their own support. Are there off-the-shelf adjustable supports that would allow me to rigidly connect such cameras and lenses?

• Premium Member

I use this kind of supports for my own projects, they attach to 15mm lw rods and you can fasten the lens to the support with a velcro band etc. if you need more stability. I normally take the lens's own support off and use this one instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SmallRig-Height-Adjustable-Long-Telephoto-Lens-Support-For-15mm-Rig-System-1087-/252010980816?hash=item3aad0665d0:g:wngAAOSwYIhWhJGW

there is also 1/4" screw on versions if needed.

If you need something more sturdy for heavy cine use there is better (and more expensive) alternatives but the Chinese stuff works quite well for low budget indie stuff and documentaries ;)

Guest Glenn Brady

I use this kind of supports for my own projects, they attach to 15mm lw rods and you can fasten the lens to the support with a velcro band etc. if you need more stability. I normally take the lens's own support off and use this one instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SmallRig-Height-Adjustable-Long-Telephoto-Lens-Support-For-15mm-Rig-System-1087-/252010980816?hash=item3aad0665d0:g:wngAAOSwYIhWhJGW

there is also 1/4" screw on versions if needed.

If you need something more sturdy for heavy cine use there is better (and more expensive) alternatives but the Chinese stuff works quite well for low budget indie stuff and documentaries ;)

I may not have explained my requirement clearly. It's not an adjustable lens support I require (I've got several of them), but rather a heavy-duty support that will permit a secure attachment of the cameras and lenses (lenses with integral supports) and, at the same time, allow a height adjustment of one or both to make lens-to-camera alignment possible. This heavy-duty bracket will, in turn, be fixed to a tripod, supporting both camera and lens.

Edited by Glenn Brady

• Premium Member

a normal 19mm dovetail+balance plate should be enough I think. with heavy lenses, do you mean the big telephotos which weight about 20 - 30 pounds or so? or something like 8-10 pounds for the lens?

I use self-modified 15mm baseplates and height adjustable 15mm lens supports for up to Eclair Cameflex and 400mm telephotos, also a cheap-o camtreehunt 19mm dovetail+balance plate made for Red One. These work for a camera+lens combo of up to 20 - 25 pounds or so. But if using heavy 800mm's with the SR it is a very good idea to use heavy duty 19mm baseplate and stainless steel rods to reduce vibrations