How to edit dvd files?

Guest jeremy edge

Guest jeremy edge

What's a good program thats not expensive to convert dvd vob files to an editable format? Mpeg2 ,AVI etc?

I have a lot of archive stuff on dvd and I would like to use some of it.I have aprogram called dvd to avi but the resolution is lousy.It looks terrible converted.I need something that will give me the full resolution thats on the dvd.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jeremy edge

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

I've always used DVD2AVI, the resolution depends on what codec and settings you use.

Guest jeremy edge
I've always used DVD2AVI, the resolution depends on what codec and settings you use.

Ahh,

I have a trail version...perhaps the options are locked.

Would you say you got decent results?

I know not to expect too much off dvd but these old files are only on disc so I dont have much choice.

Check out DVDXDV:

http://www.dvdxdv.com/

This is a great little app that converts VOB, Video_TS, etc...to any codec or format in your Quicktime folder... I use it all the time and it works great.

Use it with "Mac the Ripper" if your client accidently enabled CSS or Macrovision.

Good luck...

-JoshuaOne

Ahh,

I have a trail version...perhaps the options are locked.

Would you say you got decent results?

I know not to expect too much off dvd but these old files are only on disc so I dont have much choice.

I got DVD results. I found out the bitrate of the DVD video and then encoded it with DivX or Xvid.

Guest jeremy edge
I got DVD results. I found out the bitrate of the DVD video and then encoded it with DivX or Xvid.

Which codec do you use to convert?

I tried the "Cinepak by radius" and got some terrible artifatcs.

Jeremy, the Cinepak codec is an old codec with outdated compression algorithms. Even at high bitrates will results be just mediocre.

Consider a codec like HuffYUV (link), which uses lossless encoding algorithms to compress the video to size, while at the same time avoiding any degredation of the image.

Which codec do you use to convert?

DivX (Divx.com)

Bare in mind before you start converting you need to go into the codec settings and choose a bitrate, higher the bitrate the better the quality.