Day for Night

Guest 22west

Guest 22west

Here is a still from Michael Manns - Manhunter.

This looks like a day for night shot. Any ideas on how it was done?

I am thinking it was a bright day and they shot this with tungsten balanced film with a few layers of ND filter gels on the windows.

post-2584-1119226690.jpg

The tungsten film should give you the blue look anyway right? - Or do you think they used a filter.

• Premium Member

Yes, that seems likely. Possibly also a Pola on the camera.

Shooting without the 85B filter on tungsten stock in daytime and underexposing gets you a fairly deep blue look, so I think that's what they did. You can always add or subtract a little blue in color-correction later. I mean, it's always possible they used some other method but I doubt it.

In fact, ALL of "Heat" was shot on 500 ASA tungsten-balanced stock without the 85B filter and corrected in post.

Guest 22west
Yes, that seems likely. Possibly also a Pola on the camera.

Shooting without the 85B filter on tungsten stock in daytime and underexposing gets you a fairly deep blue look, so I think that's what they did. You can always add or subtract a little blue in color-correction later.  I mean, it's always possible they used some other method but I doubt it.

In fact, ALL of "Heat" was shot on 500 ASA tungsten-balanced stock without the 85B filter and corrected in post.

Thanks David.