King Kong 2005 Peter Jackson

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

I've been watching the video diaries to this film very closely, they're are so interesting! You can find them at kingiskong.net the official site.

So, who's looking forward to this film? I'm seeing it the first day it comes out. Really it's not my type of film and I wouldn;t have bothered even seeing it, but since I started watching the production diaries I've built up a strong interest in the film.

I've seen small parts of scenes, and the cinematography looks amazing.

I think these production diaries were a good idea, any future films I make will certainly have them.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 22west
I've been watching the video diaries to this film very closely, they're are so interesting! You can find them at kingiskong.net the official site.

So, who's looking forward to this film? I'm seeing it the first day it comes out. Really it's not my type of film and I wouldn;t have bothered even seeing it, but since I started watching the production diaries I've built up a strong interest in the film.

I've seen small parts of scenes, and the cinematography looks amazing.

I think these production diaries were a good idea, any future films I make will certainly have them.

Actually its kongisking.net - and I agree, these production diaries are great.

Yeah.. its wicked...

Video Diaries is alot of work though... needs alot of editing to make it interesting...

But yeah... its really cool

They released a promo for the teaser..lol... just 2 seconds of the finished film...

http://img-nex.kongisking.net/kong/movies/kingtease_high.mov

THe first shot is neat... Great composition... Naomi's totally vulnerable.. theres only her and the dino.. then Kong arrives.. BANG... she's now framed by his HUGE arms... Making it clear that he's here to protect her.. just with the composition...

Anyway... just a long-time PJ fan geeking out here...

The compositing (FX) on the second shot could be better though... Its probably not the final shot I guess... Weta rocks

Cheerios

Ben

Omg... I wonder if you can pre-order cinema tickets 7 months in advance?!

Thing is, those video diaries shouldn't be just for people who are interested in the making of king kong, but film making in general.

I've learn't quite a few things from it. For instance I've always wondered how they tied in the computer generated backgrounds with the bluescreen footage and kept the background in perfect position when the camera moves about e.t.c. Apperently they have a virtual camera with a laser coming out of it which tracks the cameras movements, and also tracks the little squares stuck onto the bluescreen. (Day 48)

Maybe we should all write a message to them through the kongisking.com web site (not kingiskong.com... thankyou 22west) asking a question, and say it's on the behalf of everyone at the cinematography.com forum.

I personally wouldn't mind a little demo of them actually tieing in the computer generated backgrounds and the bluescreen footage.

Anyone up for that?

(I know that most people on here already know how to do all that stuff, but it would just be cool if they posted a video diary entry which acknowledged the cinematography.com forum)

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Yeah... lol.. it would be nice...

If you want to know anything about CG stuff and bluescreen.... Motion tracking.. Motion control... Motion capture... whatever... you can ask me... Its like the only thing I know...lol

Im a visual effects compositor... Mainly for commercials but also music videos and feature films.

The tracking markers technique is actually quite simple... Its just a high contrast marker.. little squares, or L shapes... that u put there for the computer to understand and digitalize the camera movement.. for that u need the distance between the markers and the camera , Lens info ect. Then u use a program like Boujou, Matchmover or 3d equilizer (the one they use at Weta) to track it.. and these programs are extremly powerful nowadays... Especially Boujou.. you can have very little knowledge about that stuff and easily track a camera movement... in a matter of minutes. thats just boujou though... the others are much more complex, cuz they allow you to track people's faces, moving objects.. stuff like that. But its not rocket science... the laser's optional.. its just used for to measure the distance between the cam and the markers...u could use a tape measure and it would give you the same results... Its just faster

Laters

Ben

Edited by Benny_the_kid

I know some compositing programs dont even require markers on the screen... Although it may not work for a more difficult shot, a basic chroma shoot could be pulled off with no markers on the screen (asuming you have a program that will work that way).

Just point and shoot, then in post they create "Virtual" track markers I think, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

Just point and shoot, then in post they create "Virtual" track markers I think, but I'm not sure.

You have to have SOMETHING stationary to create a track. Tracking technology has become incredibly advanced and will continue to advance in the future - but you need something to track on or you will end up hand tracking and that is very hard and time consuming - though if it is a quick shot and you don't see people's feet, it's a lot easier.

"I know some compositing programs dont even require markers on the screen..."

Thats 2D tracking... not matchmoving (3D tracking). its not the same....

After effects, Shake, Combustion, Toxik, Digi Fusion... all these programs can track without markers... but only in 2D, they dont understand perspective (cept for corner pin tracking)

Boujou, Matchmover, Inferno ect... can understand perpective... They can track a scene without markers just my finding reference points ( high contrast spots ) ... And using algorithm... they connect the spots in the scene.... and voila... they understand the motion.

BUT, when theres nothing there but the actor and the blue/green screen... thats different... Its VERY ... VERY hard to matchmove (3D track) a green screen sequence that has no tracking markers.. In fact, its almost impossible if you just have the actor as reference. Its essential to have markers when shooting blue/green screen unless the camera is stationary.

Ben

If you want to know anything about CG stuff and bluescreen.... Motion tracking.. Motion control... Motion capture... whatever... you can ask me... Its like the only thing I know...lol

Arr tnx Ben. Will do!

Oh btw, everyone, watch Day 22... :lol: Andy Circus is brilliant... I was cracking up whils't watching that..

Ok. I know everyone here already knows how matching up computer generated backgrounds with bluescreen footage is done, but... let's see if the folks down at Weta will give a demonstration. And if you don't know how it's done Ben kindly gave a brief overview. (Scroll up)

I'm going to write an e-mail to them, and see what happens. I'm going to write it on the behalf of whoever signs their name here. So if you're interested, just let me know by signing your name here, and we'l see what happens! (Bare in mind there's only like 26 weeks to go, so we gotta move fast)

Ok, I might aswell start the list:

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Yeah... we could ask to see the evolution of a shot... from scanning the film to modeling, to animation, CG lighting, Matchmoving, Compositing...

Cuz alot of them have : Blue screen+ matchmoving+Miniatures and CG at the same time. Its always interesting to see it all together in Compositing... this is where the magic happens.. lol.. then again I might be biased.

Cheerios

Ben

Good idea Ben. I'll send the e-mail later on tonight.

:( Perhaps it will lighten me up...... give me some kind of joy........ after what happened today. Getting fired really does make you feel like poop doesn't it? :(

I've been working at Chas Norman Cameras for about a year now. Unfortunatelly, today, I accidently left one of the cabinets holding cameras open, went out back, and forgot I left it open. Someone came in without me knowing and stole one of the cameras, about £500 worth of camera. Naturally, and rightfully, I got blamed for it, because I left the cabinet open.

And now I'm feeling crap because I was intending on leaving that job soon, and atleast it would have been on good grounds. But now that I've been fired, I won't get any reference atall. And that job was excellent on my CV, because Chas Norman Cameras is a highly regarded camera shop.

But the thing that hurts the most is that I've lost my friendship with the owners of the shop.

So, now I'm back to step one again. Finding a job, and working my way up. And I doubt I'm going to get a job as good as that.

So.... yeh.... feeling really depressed right now. Trying to brighten up a bit on this forum and talking to friends e.t.c.

Let's see how this thing goes........ something to hope for.

(I was told to go home, so I thought, ok, I'll make up for it next saturday. But then my boss said that I'm not working there ever again. And damn.... feels like the floor has suddenly dissapeared and you get a horrible sick feeling inside you. Getting fired doesn't make you angry, it just hurts you emotionally)

• Premium Member

Some simple mistakes are more costly than others... but it was still a simple mistake. Any one of us could have made it.

But I can understand the sick feeling that comes from letting someone down. But if the owner is a decent person, he'll get over it. If he doesn't, then that's his problem.

Yeah... like...

I can understand why your boss would be angry... but is sacking you gonna solve anything? Is he going to get his cameras back? No... He's just lost a good employee... plus its not a mistake you r likely to make again.... so... Stupid move... HE is the loser here...

"I've lost my friendship with the owners of the shop."

Well then, they werent real friends in the first place... and since they cant take back anything you've learned there... ur not back to step one at all !!!

In the end its not the C.V that counts, its the results... the talent, the passion...

and since ur the youngest member Ive seen on this forum... smtg tells me you have it in you.

So cheer up,

:) its gonna be fine... u'll see... Im always right haha

Cheerios

Ben

Edited by Benny_the_kid

Thanks for the support guys, although I'm next to getting a new job now... with Chas Normans arch enemy.. JESSOPS.... They said with my kind of experience I'll easily get the job, which is uplifting.

Anyway, I sent the e-mail to kongisking.net... So.. lets hope something happens!

Okay, for those who have seen the trailer, what is your opinion of Lesnie's work on King Kong, from what little we have seen. It seems very Lord of the Rings to me, but with some strong differences, too, kind of a contrast between the primitive, base, Lotr tribal scenes on Skull Island, and the modern, classical New York scenes. I'm also interested to see what he has done with the jungle, which we only got a passing glimpse at.

Am I the only one who think Jack Black was miscast?

Yeah.. I dunno....

We'll have to wait and see I guess...

What dyu mean by miscast?

U think hes a bad actor?... or just NOT an actor who can portray the role from the 1933 original version?

As for cinematography... I think the reccurent LOTR look comes more from Doyle's color grading than the actual lighting... I still think it rocks though.

Cherrios

Ben

Edited by Benny_the_kid

I have a feeling the 2005 version will slightly less, serious. That's why Jack Black. I've never seen the original, or the 1970's version, and I don't intend to until I see the 2005 version.

There are a range of characters, from sarcastic, to Marlboro men, to romantic, I have a feeling this film will have a lot in common with Indiana Jones. A good mix of serious, funny, and thrilling cinema. It's a brilliant combination when used right. As you can tell I love these kinds of films. They bring the audience INTO the adventure, they make you wanting to know what happens next, where to e.t.c.

I guess it's what Jurassic Park 3 missed out, humour, and love. Ok those two parents got together at the end but the man was made out to be a complete twat and the women was just seemed too scatty, the characters have to be liked before an audience will feel anything for them. If there was an attempt at humour please point it out... Because I certainly missed it. And I don't know if it's just me but the whole raptor intelligence thing is getting on my nervous... They've transformed from a lethal animal to a character of the film. And it sucks.

Ok... back to King Kong. Sorry I'm a JP fan too.

I guess we?ll have to wait until December to see it... I wonder if they will have any iMax presentations, even though it was shot on 35mm, I still think it'd be great. But I'll settle for a normal cinema. December though.... seems so long! I'll just keep looking out for these video production diaries, they?ll keep my eager interest entertained for the time being...

Just saw the trailer here in Bangkok at the front end of "War of the Worlds". It looks great and I can't wait. Yes some shots did look like re-skinning of LOTR. Jack Black? Got to wait and see.

"I've lost my friendship with the owners of the shop."

Well then, they werent real friends in the first place... and since they cant take back anything you've learned there... ur not back to step one at all !!!

Success is partially based on how quickly you bounce back from set backs.