Where do I go from here

Guest Leonard

Guest Leonard

Hi.

So I want to be a cinematographer.

I just signed up for the New York Film Academy 1 year filmmaking program. But what i'm really interested in is how to get on the path to become a Cinematographer.

A little background. I'm 23, graduated with a double major in Biology and English. (Parents decision, safety first and all that.) Served in the Army for 2 years. (Government decision, nationalism and all that). I've been doing odd jobs for productions locally for the past new years. Having done almost everything from gaffer, grip, production managing, cam assist, P.A and videography. locally. (currently working as a freelance writer and videographer) Even worked on some short films initiated by friends. I've also been doing photography for the past couple of years, when i can that is. The army rarely allows any of those sort of equipment around the camp. I read as much as my library allows and i can afford from bookstores. But the job mar

What I want to know is if there is anything else i can do? I really want to get down the road of being a cinematographer. Someone like Deakins, or Accord or Doyle.

Thanks in advance

Leonard

• Premium Member

You sound like you're on the right path. All you can do is shoot, shoot, shoot, and read, read, read, and watch a lot of movies, and then repeat over and over again -- and hope you make the connections to get shooting jobs.

Do whatever it takes to increase your knowledge and skill, both technically and artistically.