Warm half soft frost

• Premium Member
I don't think anyone makes warm diffusion gels other than cosmetic gels, which slightly diffuse. You may have to dye a cloth diffuser some warm color.

It finding something thin enough so as not to flatten everything (even the half soft frost I find too soft) that I can also tint. A kind of 1/8th grey silk with a half straw tint woud do it

:D

• Premium Member
Well, if a really thin diffusion is what you want, then perhaps a cosmetic gel like Lee 184 Cosmetic Peach or something would work -- except I doubt you can get it 12'x12.

Thanks David but 12 x 12 is the minimum.

Guess its a troll around the Indian silk markets.....

• Premium Member

Here's a thought...

Get some 1/2, 1/4 or 1/8 tough spun (get the wide version). Then die it a warm tint. After that, sew it together to make a 12' x 12'.

Or, you could forget the die and just clamp some Bastard Amber (Rosco #02) to the barn doors on your light. Then make your frame.

What about a light coral filter on cam? since your talking 12x12 suppose is a Medium shot? you can add that "warming" fx selective in Telecine by using power windows selective on your subject. There is a kind of silk that people uses to make curtains, I dont know the name in english ( in spanish is "Tul"), is sort like semi trasparent diffusse, it comes in several colors and densiites / patterns, very cheap actually. And you can have a butterfly made of 216 then cover it with 1/4 CTS, tho only problem is fragilty vs. wind factor.

Good Luck

• Premium Member
What about a light coral filter on cam? since your talking 12x12 suppose is a Medium shot?  you can add that "warming" fx selective in Telecine by using power windows selective on your subject.  There is a kind of silk that people uses to make curtains, I dont know the name in english ( in spanish is "Tul"), is sort like semi trasparent diffusse, it comes in several colors and densiites / patterns, very cheap actually.  And you can have a butterfly made of 216 then cover it with 1/4 CTS, tho only problem is fragilty vs. wind factor.

Good Luck

Thank you Oscar. The camea filter would affect the whole scene, I want to affect the area under the 12x12 only, leaving the BG slightly cooler

The Gel would a/ be noisy b/ never stay in place for more than about 10 seconds resulting in me looking like a complete burk.

I've seen the 'shower curtain' type fabric you refer to, its extremely difficult to join and would again I suspect, self destruct in a matter of seconds. This needs to be something I can transport allong with other textiles around the globe.

Thank yuo for the thoughts though

• Premium Member

I'd probably get a 12x12 Quarter Grid Cloth and see if someone could dye it...

I read something about Grid Cloth being dyed blue for "Day After Tomorrow" to hang over the sets and cool off the soft light coming from the grid.

• Premium Member

Interesting... I didn't think grid cloth would take a dye, the 1/4 is still a little on the heavy side for me but I'll take a look.

Tea is the right sort of tint, ut as I've found with white nets it washes in and it washes out very quickly

Rosco.....Hello??

Not too good on answering mail are they :angry: