Arriflex 35 BL3

Guest Mirka Miladz

Guest Mirka Miladz

Hi,

I'll be operating an Arriflex 35 BL3 on a 90-minute color feature to be shot next summer within a 20-day schedule or so. Some handheld, mostly not. Probably a zoom lens, likely a Cooke Mark III 25-250mm.

Anyways, I was wondering whether there are any special considerations or peculiarities or whatnot I should be aware of, as I have no prior experience with a BL3 (and little with 35mm anyway, for that matter)?

Cheers,

Mirka :unsure:

If you're shooting handheld on a BL3 with a 25-250, my first suggestion is to eat your Wheaties! That's a big heavy camera and you should not seriously consider handholding with the zoom. It will make it terribly front-heavy with the zoom even if you put on the 1000' mag. And if you did decide to go with that combination you're looking at something like 50-60 pounds on your shoulder! Much better to get a bunch of 400' mags, prime lenses and a clip on mattebox for handheld work. You'll never survive the shoot otherwise.

Guest Mirka Miladz

Yeah, a valid point indeed.. thanks. :) I may wanna bring this up with someone in the production.. Anything else, anyone? I probably won't be able to test-drive a BL3 until just before the production, so any hands-on information is much appreciated.

Hi-

It's really more important that your AC knows the camera inside and out. If he or she isn't on intimate terms with the BL-3, he/she should get down to the rental house and learn it. There's also a great Jon Fauer book- "The Arri 35 Book" that contains a wealth of info about BL-1's, 2's, 3's and 4's. It's worth digging through it to familiarize yourself with the pieces.

Another thing about handholding, and it's probably very obvious, but get the arri shoulder pad- I HH'd for part of an evening with a folded towel over my shoulder- ouch. Those cameras seem to have hard edges in all the wrong places.

good luck!

I'm not a BL person but as far as 35mm is concerned, watch that focus like a hawk. Very easy to go soft due to the shallower DOF given the lens choices, and it's more obvious on the screen because of the increased resolution (16mm looks out of focus as is :lol: )

- G.

• 2 weeks later...

Mitch is 100% right-you'll kill yourself!

You should be able to go to the rental house and check this out way in advance and see for yourself. One of the problems is that cameras that do all that we want them to do are expensive to rent - Handholdable and quiet for example. Start adding speed ramp capabilities and it gets outrageous.

A comfortable operator makes better movies!

• 6 months later...
Hi,

I'll be operating an Arriflex 35 BL3 on a 90-minute color feature to be shot next summer within a 20-day schedule or so. Some handheld, mostly not. Probably a zoom lens, likely a Cooke Mark III 25-250mm.

Anyways, I was wondering whether there are any special considerations or peculiarities or whatnot I should be aware of, as I have no prior experience with a BL3 (and little with 35mm anyway, for that matter)?

Cheers,

Mirka  :unsure:

The Cooke MK III is a great lense if you get one that is in good shape ( it is the currently mfg. zoom lens at cooke) I own one they sell new for about $39,000. I would only HH with primes but if you do try the 1000' with 400' loads it balances better on your shoulder but only if you arent doing too much HH on your shoulder as it is heavier. Also, there are HH braces that make using the BL a snap. I own one and it straps to my waist and has a wonderful padded shoulder piece as it balances the camera about 5" in front on a short cut down balance plate. It puts the eyepiece in just the right place and is VERY comfortable. By the way I own a BL 4s and it rents out as long as I can AC or Operate. I dont need to be a DP to make $.

GWPB

GWPB