Atmosphere

• Premium Member

I have an upcoming shoot with some Victorian homes as locations - the director is quite adamant about wanting some atmosphere, and I'm of course concerned about possible damage to the rather expensive homes we're fortunate enough to be in.

Has anyone had experience with machines that create an atmosphere that's safe (and odorless)? I recall reading about them, but can't recall where.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Any glycol-based haze or smoke fluid is safe and odorless unless it's one of those awful party flavors like coconut or pineapple. I have filled my apartment with this smoke to about 1 ft visibility and it didn't leave any residue or odor. This is the stuff used in most commercial hazers and foggers.

There are haze/smoke threads in the archives worth checking out, some good info there. But yes, water/glycol-based foggers are your safest bet and will leave VERY little residue (almost none, but of course, that is physically impossible). I don't even think they'll set off a smoke alarm.

Edited by Alvin Pingol

• Premium Member

Hi,

They will set off optical smoke detectors, by the nature of the way the things work, but they're pretty uncommon.

Also, I wouldn't call it completey odourless. It's a very faint odour when used at the sort of densities required for an aerial effect with light beams, but it's got an odour which I think always smells like cooking bananas.

Phil

I have had wonderful success using the DF 50 diffusion haze machine. It is a mineral oil based haze machine. It is oderless and tasteless and claims it leaves no residue when used properly. It has never set off fire alarms in the multiple location I have shot with it. After leaving it on for only five minutes, it has filled the entire interior of a church. It is made by Reel EFX http://www.reelefx.com/products/df50.htm and can usually be found in any FX rental house.

Definitely look into the smoke detectors they have.

I used a fog machine while fliming in a courthouse once, thinking "hey, it's not smoke, no problem!" and set off all the alarms, and they had to evacuate the entire building!

Worse than that, the guy who had the key to shut it off was 100 miles away, the fire trucks came, found a spare key, and saved the day.

MP