using 35mm lenses for super16mm

Tomas Koolhaas

Hello,

I am looking to shoot super-16 using cooke s4's (35mm) lenses, I have heard that on wider lenses at near minimum focus vignetting can occur (when using 35mm lenses on S-16), does anyone know if this is true, and any advice about using 35mm lenses with S-16 is very welcome.

Thanks.

Tomas.

hi- 35mm lenses are designed to cover the larger 35mm frame, so they certainly wouldn't vignette on a smaller super-16 frame. If it vignetted on super-16, it would look like you were shooting through a porthole on 35! As you probably already know, the 35 lenses are going to be a bit long-ish (focal-length wise) for 16. I think the widest S4 for 35 is 12mm, which isn't very wide for S-16.

Hello,

I knew that had to be impossible, it would be like a pinhole on 35mm if it vignetted on S-16,

I am always wary of the massive amount of misinformation out there but that one was obvious as a stinker, but then again I always like to make sure just in case there's something I'm missing.

I am aware that 35mm lenses appear longer on S-16, fortunately the director wants to achieve a very long lens feel throughout the piece so this works to our advantage, I probably won't even use the 12mm for being too wide.

Thanks for confirming my suspisions patrick.

Cheers.

Tomas.