Any LUT that resembles SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (1978)?

Samuel Berger

Posting this here to not hijack the Eastmancolor thread. Over there I posted:

I also remember watching SUPERMAN in 1978. Now there's a movie that seemed to shun yellow. Even considering the desert scenes, when I close my eyes and think of it, all I see are the night colours of Metropolis, the red and blue of the Superman suit, and black and white. Unfortunately when I think of MAN OF STEEL all I see it orange and teal. (And if I absolutely have to think of Marvel Universe videos...movies... I just think of grey and brown.)

And David Mullen replied:

You're right about "Superman: The Movie" - even the wheat fields of Smallville and desert scene with Lois are timed for neutral skin tones (and the accurate reproduction of the red & blue costume), and with the use of fog filters, which tend to have a blue cast to the halation, and in this case, they are mostly reacting the the blue skies in the scenes, there are no scenes where a warm golden cast has been timed into the image overall.

Metropolis (NYC) has blue-green mercury-vapor streetlamps in the distance at night, Krypton & the Fortress of Solitude have a wintery look so there are some cooler scenes, and plenty of neutral-toned scenes with warmer color accents in the set dressing, but no overly warm scenes.

Does anyone know of a LUT that approximates the look of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE?

• Premium Member

I don't think you have to create a special LUT just to avoid yellow to create that look, you just have to time the image neutral-to-cool. The only thing unique, other than shooting on 35mm anamorphic 5247 100T, often pushed one stop for night work, is the use of the Harrison Fog #2 filter, which has a blue bias to the halation.

• Upvote 1