Filter threads on Zeiss

Hi there,

Looking to attach an anamorphic adapter to the Zeiss Distagon* bayonet mount for Super 16, and also test it out on Zeiss Super Speeds I's to shoot on digital as well.

Problem is, I can not find the thread size when I am googling. And looking at the lenses it doesn't seem to be saying anything.

C

• Premium Member

Zeiss Super Speeds (both 16 and 35mm versions) don't really have filter threads. The thread you can sometimes see at the front is for the engraved front ring, which on the 35mm lenses is also holding in optics. I know the later S16 Super Speeds have a front ring with a (slightly less than) 75mm diameter and 0.75 pitch, not sure about the first bayonet mount version - I think they had two different front diameters. They may not be standard filter thread sizes.

Because they use a double threaded helical ring to focus that connects the front part of the lens to the back part, any extra weight on the front of a Super Speed (like a clip-on mattebox) can quickly wear the threads and often makes the focus bind up. So maybe it's not a great idea to attach an anamorphic adapter to the front of these lenses anyway, especially if it's a heavy projector lens type adapter.