Live 8- what cameras were used where?

Guest Tim Partridge

Guest fstop

I caught a few snippets from the London show on TV earlier on a pretty decent monitor and I have to admit the image quality jumped out at me. To be honest, what I saw looked decidedly below par compared with most live gigs (think Glastonbury), there was some nasty looking noise, warmer hues going messy and even what looked like the horizontal banding (caused by high volume sound) that dogged the original standard Betacam stuff shot 20 years ago for LIVE AID!! Anyone else feel that? I am assuming this was a DigitBeta job for the London stuff- what was going on?

how did they shoot the rest of the world's footage?

cheers!

The Canadian concert, held 15 minutes from my house, used mainly hand cranked film cameras.

We haven't seen the footage yet, it will be processed, then screened before movies at the Nickelodeon.

R.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Just from ogling TV, tne of the guys on stage had a 790 and someone else had something smaller - perhaps a DSR-570 with the CCU connector in use. Can't think why that would look particularly awful. Difficult to be more specific because everyone's got their plots alligator-clipped to the handle, obscuring the view.

Phil

Guest fstop

DSR570- really? Is that usual for this kind of event? the 790 is more what I was expecting.

Re: Richard:

So when did Bryan Adams and co record their player piano renditions of their hits? :P

Does anyone know if any HD or even DVCAM was used during the shooting of all the events?

Edited by fstop

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Is that usual for this kind of event?

No, and I may well be wrong, although there's no reason it shouldn't be - the pictures aren't quite as good as a 790, but nothing you'd notice once it'd been broadcast.

Phil

Guest fstop

I just heard Live 8 was the first time the BBC broadcast in HDTV! Can anyone confirm/elaborate on this please?