Elmo 1012 xls disassembly

Wayne Jones

Hi Wayne. The ELMO 1012 XLS is a pretty complicated camera, even though is looks pretty basic externally, and has fewer features than many of its long zoom counterparts. I would only recommend attempting repair IF you are: a camera repair tech, audiovisual repair tech, electronics/computer repair tech, or have experience at attempting repairing any fine mechanical and electronic items using fine hand tools etc. This caveat aside, here's some information that might be useful. Try to determine what is not functioning or not functioning correctly on the camera. The various different camera sections can usually be repaired from their physical locations rather than completely dismantling the camera to its chassis.

Camera body shell screws are located in various corners of their respective covers, and most are underneath the leatherette covering which must be peeled back/or off to remove the screws. I suggest having a clean work surface to do this, and it's helpful to make notes to yourself as to what goes where. To help avoid losing the tiny screws, you can tape them down in groups onto a large sheet of white plastic where using a permanent type felt tip marker you can write notes as to their location points. The LEFT side of the camera as you hold it with the lens forward contains all the main function controls, with the respective circuit boards underneath [exposure adjustment module, camera speed control, sound recording electronics, Sound Capstan Flywheel and Belts etc]. The RIGHT side of the camera contains the Lens Aperture Control Unit, Zoom Motor Unit, Filter Switch and Filters, Film Cartridge Chamber with all related meter and filter indexing parts. The Top of the camera contains the Sound Recording Hot Shoe for Telescopic Microphone Input, Movie Light Socket and Filter Switching Mechanism etc. The Rear of the camera contains the dioptric viewfinder control and film use indicator mechanism etc. The Front of the camera contains the Zoom Lens module of the camera which interfaces with the zoom drive motors, aperture and filter mechanisms (NOTE: Do not remove the lens focusing shell off the lens unless you are familiar with resetting the lens correctly to its Infinity and Focusing Range again since it very easy to mess this up).

I have photos, but can't figure out how to upload them into this window from my computer. Email me at Super8mm@aol.com and I'll send them to you or tell me how to upload photos.