This may be a strange question but its something I?m trying to decide.

Ok, here is my Q. there are two cameras that I am considering. A canon XL2 and a Konvas 2M? ok I realize that these are two very different cameras and formats, but I?m trying to decide whether to buy the Xl2 and shoot a lot more for the money. Or buy the Konvas and get less, but real film experience. So digital (more shooting) or film (real experience)?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance..

This may be a strange question but its something I’m trying to decide.

Ok, here is my Q. there are two cameras that I am considering. A canon XL2 and a Konvas 2M… ok I realize that these are two very different cameras and formats, but I’m trying to decide whether to buy the Xl2 and shoot a lot more for the money. Or buy the Konvas and get less, but real film experience.  So digital (more shooting) or film (real experience)?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance..

Yeah, I think in the end, you have to consider where you'll end up. The rule, as I've been told, is that if you plan to finish in one medium, it's ALWAYS more cost effective to stay within that medium. Is it for home use? Theatrical distribution?

Just my personal opinion, and this is only personal, If you can afford an XL2 (~5000 USD$?), you can easily get a konvas 2m (or even 1m) off of ebay for around 1000-1500. I'd get some 35mm film stock, learn all there is about working the equipment and just shoot some VERY brief shorts. It's different for each person, but you tend to learn a LOT more when you shoot in film, so think of it as an exercise. But of course, you know more about yourself than I do, so a digital path might feel better. Don't get me wrong, the XL-2 is a great camera (I've used a dvx100 myself at one point, so I'm sure the xl-2 must be on par or better if it came out later).

Yes, film does cost more, but the experience you gain through the difficulties you'll face by working on it are well worth it, IMO. And if you know how to look around, you can get some pretttttty good deals. 35mm, unlike 16, has a magically little secret called short ends you can get pretty good deals on. But if y

Just my thoughts.

What kind of projects do you want to shoot? Tell us a bit more...

I would be shooting shorts and if I got the xl2 I would shoot some events such as weddings. I could probably make more money with the xl2 but, I wouldn?t be getting experience shooting on a real professional format.

I would be shooting shorts and if I got the xl2 I would shoot some events such as weddings. I could probably make more money with the xl2 but, I wouldn’t be getting experience shooting on a real professional format.

Okay, so you're goal is to make a living off of it?

If you need to get a career with it right away, the xl-2 makes more sense. It gives you more footage for your money. Really, it's not about what format is the 'best', it's just what's right for your purposes (it'd make no sense to shoot a wedding on 35). But if your goal is to learn the film craft, and hopefully submit it to festivals which tend to only take film prints, then I'd go with the konvas.

I think at the moment, you should just get priorities very clear and very straight with what EXACTLY you plan to do going into video/film making.

Good luck.

Okay, so you're goal is to make a living off of it?

If you need to get a career with it right away, the xl-2 makes more sense. It gives you more footage for your money. Really, it's not about what format is the 'best', it's just what's right for your purposes (it'd make no sense to shoot a wedding on 35). But if your goal is to learn the film craft, and hopefully submit it to festivals which tend to only take film prints, then I'd go with the konvas.

I think at the moment, you should just get priorities very clear and very straight with what EXACTLY you plan to do going into video/film making.

Good luck.

Making money would be great but, I?m really looking for experience. i guess i just need to think it through.

• Premium Member

If you want to experiment film, you could rent a 16 mm camera at first, and then decide if you want to buy a cheap one but as to buy a camera as to make money you defenetly should better choose a video, especially for the amateur/semi pro/corporate market.

You could even rent a digital beta or some broadcast material if ever you have a client for such a product anyway.

so my rule of thumb would be : rent expensive material, buy only cheap one.