Cinematographers with eye problems?

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with keratoconus, which is basically the thinning of the cornea due to an abnormally cone-shaped cataract. I'm required to wear RGB contact lenses to correct the crazy astigmatism that comes with the disease. One day I might need to get a corneal graft when contact lenses won't be able to correct my vision to 20/20 anymore.

So I was wondering if there are any industry people or even just people from this board who suffer from vision problems like I do. I apologize in advance, this thread IS sort of a "please pick me up". I want to know if I'm alone or not.

• Premium Member

As long as you can see with corrective lenses, you shouldn't have a problem. You may not want to persue a career as an operator though if you're worried about eyestrain and having to constantly judge focus.

Steadicam operator turned DP Nicola Pecorini ("Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas") is blind in one eye or has some sort of problem seeing on one side of his vision.

This might be apocryphal, but apprarently Nestor Almendros was going blind while shooting Days of Heaven, and had to have Polaroid's taken of every shot, which he would then look at with a magnifying glass.

Considering DoH is arguably the best looking movie in the history of cinema, seems to indicate near total blindness might not be a complete hindrance to cinematography.

chuck

Beethoven was deaf in his final creative years and that never held him back.

http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Bio/BiographyDe...Creativity.html

I'm sure I heard of an Italian cinematographer who had his team describe the location & shot before he went on to explain the lighting & framing. He had gone totaly blind.

Use your weakness to make you stronger & more original. Cinematographers should use their brain more than their eyes anyway.

Edited by RemiAdefarasin

• 2 weeks later...