Best HD Editing Software

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Over the past few years I've been using Adobe Premiere 7.0, and when I say using, I mean messing about with it, not actually editing anything properly on it. About all I've edited films on properly, was admitedly.. windows movie maker. It's actually not bad if all your doing is simple cut to cut with a few titles.

I've also been thinking about getting a Mac next time I buy a computer, they seem to be better for editing.

So, from your guys experience, what has been the best tool? I've been looking at Avid and Final Cut Pro HD mostly. Final Cut Pro because a lot of people talk about it, and Avid because I notcied that's what the editorial team on King Kong use.

Tnx for any suggestions.

Dan.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Hi,

The problem with FCP is that you need a Mac to run it on, which makes necessary things like lots of memory and storage expensive. Otherwise yes it's competent.

Current Macintosh computers use the same memory and storage as PC's, and have for at least the last 2 or 3 years. The only difference is that they use Serial ATA drives, which until last year were a bit more expensive. Today, they cost the same as standard parallel ATA, with the notable difference of being quite a bit faster - and have been adopted for use in most new PC's as well. As far as memory, the amount of memory required by a Mac is exactly the same as a PC - it depends on what you are doing with it. Mac OS X is quite a bit more memory efficient than Windows XP, which is why a 256MB Mac Mini can perform as well as a PC with twice that amount, even during multitasking operations. For video editing, you should have as much memory as possible, and at today's prices, there's no reason to have anything less than 1 or 2 GB or RAM regardless of what system you are using.