Need Ebay 16mm Camera Insight

Jason Banker

• Premium Member

It looks a bit old, it would be interesting to have the serial number from the seller ;

It comes with only one magazine

The fact that it says that it was "converted" to super 16 but the ground glass was not changed and the camera was not used in a while makes think that may be the "conversion" to super 16 was may be not a full conversion ie only the plate was enlarged, but was the optical axis moved ? and is the ground glass properly set ie optically at the same place as the plate...

It is obvious that some tests should be made, so you have to consider eventual repairs before it works...

If it works, the price sounds normal to me but what if it doesn't ?

A good point is that seller has only positive comments, and basically sells camera stuff only, but weird the item locations are always different...

Why don't you contact him as to have answers to the questions I mentionned and see what it looks like...

Edited by laurent.a

What do you guys think of this camera on ebay. To me it looks like a good deal?

Eclair ACL Super 16 Camera for  $2000

Item number: 7528623212

Or is it worth spending $6000 on a perfectly serviced one?

Generally, I grit my teeth at how much higher prices are from a dealer than on ebay. But really it's for a good reason. I went the ebay route... actually I started the ebay route in December for a 16mm camera and some lenses. It is a long road to put together a package where everything works with clear lenses, etc.

The problem is if you find that perfect package on ebay, everyone knows its perfect so the prices soar. If you find the low cost, more risky option, you save money but for what? Something that might not work and huge headaches/ expenses down the line that may add up to well over what you could've just paid in the first place.

Steven

• Premium Member
Generally, I grit my teeth at how much higher prices are from a dealer than on ebay. But really it's for a good reason. I went the ebay route... actually I started the ebay route in December for a 16mm camera and some lenses. It is a long road to put together a package where everything works with clear lenses, etc.

The problem is if you find that perfect package on ebay, everyone knows its perfect so the prices soar. If you find the low cost, more risky option, you save money but for what? Something that might not work and huge headaches/ expenses down the line that may add up to well over what you could've just paid in the first place.

Steven

The demand is normally higher than the supply for film/video equipment on eBay, so that's usually the case for a lot of the gear. I have however gotten really lucky a time or two.