Cine Lighting for Still Photography

Khalid

Hi Friends,

I usually, like to take some still photographs using my MF camera with slide films, the question is, what is the best KINO FLO or other lights that will work best to photograph portaits and models.

Thank you all

Khalid

• Premium Member
Hi Friends,

I usually, like to take some still photographs using my MF camera with slide films, the question is, what is the best KINO FLO or other lights that will work best to photograph portaits and models.

Thank you all

Khalid

It's tough to beat the Irving Penn simplicity:

post-4994-1121296058.jpg

One large, soft source with a medium-grey seamless backdrop.

• Premium Member
It's tough to beat the Irving Penn simplicity:

post-4994-1121296058.jpg

One large, soft source with a medium-grey seamless backdrop.

Light's light, really. There's absolutely no reason you can't use any light you would find on a film set to photograph stills with.

Dear friends,

I saw several pictures on my friends pc and the Female Portrait photographs were wonderful. I asked him regarding the photographs, then he said me that he had used Hot Lights and Kino-Flo and the film used was slide film.

Can anyone give me an advice with regards to the Lighting System which will be suitable for Portrait photography which uses both the Hot Lights and the Kino-Flo combination.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

You're sort of missing the point. You don't think of lighting a face with a Kino versus a Chimera, etc. you think about the quality of the light, how large, how soft, how close, how bright, what direction, and THEN you find a simple practical way of achieving it -- and often the same effect can be created in different ways.

You want a big soft key light coming from one side, you have different ways of achieving that. You could use a 10-tube Kino Wall-O-Lite through a 6'x6' frame of Lt. Grid, for example, or you could shine a 5K through a 6'x6' frame of Full Grid with a 4'x4' frame of 216 between the big frame and the light. Or you could bounce a MaxiBrute off of a 12'x12' UltraBounce, etc. Or put a large Chimera on a 5K and place it close to the face.

The real issue is understanding the exact angle and color and softness and fall-off and brightness, etc., needed to create the effect you want. So no one can tell you which Kinoflo to use because so much depends on how you use it and what you are trying to achieve.