Super8 - HD or 2k transfer?

Jason Banker

• Premium Member
check out www.thompsongrassvalley.com, you will see that the Shadow can do Data output, if so set up. I guess the spirit is the big brother to this. I am about to do this on  a super 16 short.

chris

Hi,

The web site does state a data option, however no resoloution is quoted.

I have used a Spirit in New York for a best light pass and a Shadow in Zurich for the final grading! It was not possible with the Shadow + DaVinci to get as much dynamic range from the negative. Those extra 'bits' in the spirit equate to at least another camera stop IMHO.

I quote 'Our Shadow Telecine? system is a low-cost telecine designed specifically for television production in standard- and high-definition resolutions' It is not intended for more than that!

Stephen Williams DP

www.stephenw.com

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that Laser Pacific did Super-8-to-HD transfers for "American Family" on PBS (the show was shot in 24P HD with Super-8 flashbacks.)

I remember tuning in to that show and one of those flashbacks came on -- I think it was in an orange grove - and thinking "now THAT'S an interesting look for HD"

Then I fould out.... that.... it.... :D

-Sam (really it was a nicely done series)

I actually downloaded a Quicktime of one of their S8 transfers when this came up on another list. It seemed to be S8 Kodachrome and looked pretty good I thought.

I have no experience with a Shadow and don't know how theirs (Flying Spot) is configured but if your S8 original is on reversal I don't know if that extra stop of dynamic range (per Stephen Williams) is there for you to recover in the first place.

-Sam

• Premium Member
I have no experience with  a Shadow and don't know how theirs (Flying Spot) is configured but if your S8 original is on reversal I don't know if that extra stop of dynamic range (per Stephen Williams) is there for you to recover in the first place.

-Sam

Hi,

Don't get me wrong a Shadow with a good operator is better than a Spirit with an average operator-! I often use the Shadow over a Spitit, because locally its where the best colourist works. It's also far cheaper! But when one starts talking 2+ then a Telecine is the wrong machine in any case.

Stephen