Best Stock for saturated colors

R Walker

I'm looking for a stock that will give the most saturated colors possible. I think I'm going to shoot on vision500T (7279), but I have not used the vision2 500T (7218) and I was wondering if there was a difference in the saturation and which one would be better to use. Any other helpful hints to get a more saturated look with these stocks?

• Premium Member

Hi,

I believe Kodak specifically advertised one of their reversal films as high-saturation. Maybe 5285? ISO 100? Daylight balance? Can't really remember, but it exists. Not sure if it comes in 16mm, which you imply.

Phil

• Premium Member

The 7279 has slightly higher contrast and different color reproduction than 7218.

Do you really need a 500 speed film? If not, consider the use of 7245, 7248 or 7274 as well. A bit of overexposure tends to give more color saturation, but lighting, costuming, makeup, and set design are also major factors under your control to get more saturated colors. Underexposure will generally mute colors. Transfer to video or DI give you control over saturation too, including with the new VISION2 films.

You can compare films here:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...0.1.4.4.4&lc=en

Lack of E-6 processing for 16mm is one of the reasons for not having 16mm 7285:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...1.4.4.6.4&lc=en

Thanks everyone,

John, I am shooting some scenes by candlelight as well as shooting the dawn so I think the 500 speed would be best. I really want to stick to one stock the entire time, if possible. (it's a short film). Thanks again for your help!

Reed