k-3 vs. scoopic

Guest FilmmakerJack

Guest FilmmakerJack

Speaking in image strictly quality. Which do you believe to be better? The k-3 or the scoopic?

Speaking in image strictly quality. Which do you believe to be better? The k-3 or the scoopic?

I have a Scoopic MS and couldn't be more pleased with its reliability and the imagery it provides. On the other hand, I've been through a couple of the older gray Scoopics and in my opinion, they're junk- bad glass. I had one K-3. I'll not have another.

I believe those that understand the limitations of the Scoopic and won't try to make it something it isn't, will be very happy with it.

Good luck.

Tom Ballard

I've used both. Comes down to:

Which lens are you using on the K-3? The factory, then Scoopic wins. You put a Zeiss prime on the K-3, and the russian rig wins.

Beyond that, the Scoopic is a higher-end camera in almost every other regards. The MS model is particularly well done.

I realize there are a lot of K3 fans out there, but I still don't get how anyone would compare a windup camera made in Russia, to a battery powered camera made by Canon, and still think it might be a good idea to get the K3!!!

I like my Scoopic M, although I only use it as a B camera.

Guest jeremy edge
I realize there are a lot of K3 fans out there, but I still don't get how anyone would compare a windup camera made in Russia, to a battery powered camera made by Canon, and still think it might be a good idea to get the K3!!!

I like my Scoopic M, although I only use it as a B camera.

The Scoopic is still not crystal sync even though its battery powered so if you get a k3 with a strong and smooth spring you may get similar results. Although winding the camera will be tiresome.

Im lucky enough to have a k3 with good primes and a crystal sync motor and its doing pretty well so far.We should have the transfer from our first serious shoot back in a few days and I will try and post something up.

If you do get a k3 I recommend the mc zenitar 16mm lens...Its a good match for the k3.

The Scoopic is still not crystal sync even though its battery powered so if you get a k3 with a strong and smooth spring you may get similar results. Although winding the camera will be tiresome.

Im lucky enough to have a k3 with good primes and a crystal sync motor and its doing pretty well so far.We should have the transfer from our first serious shoot back in a few days and I will try and post something up.

If you do get a k3 I recommend the mc zenitar 16mm lens...Its a good match for the k3.

Will any mc zenitar 16mm work. Or is there different mounts? Does this lens have a distorted fish eye look on the K3? Do these 35mm camera lens have the same focal length on the K3? For example will the 16mm mc zenitar have the same focal length as say the stock lens at 16mm? Thanks

Will any mc zenitar 16mm work. Or is there different mounts? Does this lens have a distorted fish eye look on the K3? Do these 35mm camera lens have the same focal length on the K3? For example will the 16mm mc zenitar have the same focal length as say the stock lens at 16mm? Thanks

You can use m42 screw mount lenses on a K-3. I have a 50mm 1.4 that I use as a telephoto. I just shot about 1400' on a k-3 and am having it transfered. should be back later this week if not early next week. i will post the results here.

chris

Guest jeremy edge

get the zenitar m....m42 mount.

Use a fountain pin to push down the auto pin all the way until it lodges inside the body to use the manual aperture.it has no switch.This method works like a charm.

Its a great lens for under $150

The zeiss,pentacon and takumar lenses are good too.

If you want real wide angles the peleng 8mm is great but its about $200

16mm is wide on a still camera but not all that wide on a 16mm.

29mm is about the longest you can handhold and even then you better have a steady hand.Anything longer its best to put it on a tripod.

just a tip...there is a tobin k3 motor on ebay right now...but you will have to pay reel trading or somoene $400 to install.