HDV to film Demos

Krishna Chandar

Digital is evolving day by day. Film was invented years ago and surprised everyone at that time. We are set to that trend and of course film went through lots of changes, variations and stayed calm after.

Now that Digital and High definition technologies are emerging as technological advent, I feel a database of HD to film should be there. This will help and guide the newcomers to this technology.

Could someone provide me with some films that I can go to a theatre now and see? I mean, any films that have been shot on HD and transferred to film and that are playing on theatres now.

Krishna

Guest jeremy edge

once upon a time in mexico ?

The star wars films and Sin City are filled with cgi so I don't know they are good ex

• Premium Member

Right now you have Bergman's "Saraband" but it seems to be playing digitally, at least it was when I saw it at the Westside Pavilion.

"Shark Boy & Lava Girl in 3D" was also an HD production.

"Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" is still playing. Actually between that and "Sin City", HD did pretty well at the box office this year.

There are also a number of Super-16 blow-ups in theaters, like "Hustle & Flow", "March of the Penuins", "Summer of My Love".

There are also a number of DV-to-35mm movies playing, mostly documentaries, but also "November".

hi there-

I recently saw "You and Me and Everyone We Know" shot HDcam by Chuy Chavez

and output by efilm and it was by far the best looking HD - 35 I've seen yet. Better looking (i thought) than the super-16 (which was a DI, right?) for "Hustle and Flow"

Both are great films, by the way, so give yourself a treat and go to the theatre for some "technical research"!

• Premium Member
Now that Digital and High definition technologies are emerging as technological advent, I feel a database of HD to film should be there. This will help and guide the newcomers to this technology.

Could someone provide me with some films that I can go to a theatre now and see?  I mean, any films that have been shot on HD and transferred to film and that are playing on theatres now.

Krishna

I actually was one of the few who went to see- in the theater- the first film shot entirely in HD and transfered to 35mm, "Julia and Julia":

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../802050301/1023

From Ebert:

Note: Whatever fate this movie has at the box office, it will win a footnote in cinematic history as the first feature shot entirely in high definition television and then transferred to film. How does it look? There are a few moments when quick movements seem to trail their shadows behind them, but in general the quality is comparable to a 16mm print blown up to 35mm. Although the film lacks the sharpness and clarity of a true 35mm print, the result is much better than any previous TV-to-film transfer I've seen.

Hmm, sounds familiar...

I don't remember too much about it but I went to see it solely because it was the first feature done in HD. This was shortly after I shot a story about the HDTV wars being waged in a lab at PBS in Virginia. I got to see prototypes from Sony, Thompson, Panasonic, RCA?. Everybody had their top scientists there and their demo films showing. Awesome. Sony's was a sort-of-a fish tank animation kinda like "Finding Nemo" only none of the fish talked. They just swam around the tank. I've still not seen a better TV picture than that.

I recently saw "You and Me and Everyone We Know" shot HDcam by Chuy Chavez

and output by efilm and it was by far the best looking HD - 35 I've seen yet. Better looking (i thought) than the super-16 (which was a DI, right?) for "Hustle and Flow"

I would call it different aesthetic.

"You Me and Everyone We Know" had a very clean look.

While "Hustle and Flow" was more textured.

Which is better is a matter of taste. I'm more for the textured.

Edited by tenobell

Right now you have Bergman's "Saraband" but it seems to be playing digitally, at least it was when I saw it at the Westside Pavilion.

"Shark Boy & Lava Girl in 3D" was also an HD production.

"Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" is still playing.  Actually between that and "Sin City", HD did pretty well at the box office this year.

There are also a number of Super-16 blow-ups in theaters, like "Hustle & Flow", "March of the Penuins", "Summer of My Love".

There are also a number of DV-to-35mm movies playing, mostly documentaries, but also "November".

Thank you David. Could you please tell me what kind of HD cams they used? Are they like prosumer types or the high end ones? Thanks for your time.

Krishna