short course for a pro?

I am a TVcommercial/ music video director/ producer from India who has been working professionally for eight years and has just finished directing his first feature film. I have worked with Indian and international DOPs all over the world and have a fairly ok professional knowledge of cinematography as a DIRECTOR. However - lately - I have been feeling the need to enroll in a short(max around six weeks), concentrated and intense workshop/course on cinematography with special emphasis on LIGHTING and IMAGE CONTOL.

This is not to become a cinematographer. But to supplement my knowledge base, built up on the job, with actual hands on training and sharing of knowhow with more accomplished pros and teachers in the field. My pursuit is mainly technical knowhow that translates directly into achieving a higher aesthetic and creative ability in my work.

Dont need no diplomas, degrees or certs! Just the knowhow! Any suggestions anyone?

I can't imagine you'd learn more in 6 weeks than you have working with pro DP's and crews for 8 years.

> training and sharing of knowhow with more accomplished pros

Do you have the opportunity to be an assistant director or grip/electrician on bigger productions?

I can't imagine you'd learn more in 6 weeks than you have working with pro DP's and crews for 8 years.

> training and sharing of knowhow with more accomplished pros

Do you have the opportunity to be an assistant director or grip/electrician on bigger productions?

Been there. Tried to do that. Unfortunately my professional commitments and complexities get in the way of that here in Bombay where I work. Look, I know what you are saying and I partly agree. But what I really want is the absolute rigour of a disciplined course that focuses totally on esthetics and craft of LIGHTING in its purest sense. A kickass teacher, a very very rigourous and immersive course structure, shooting, testing, lab processes and their relation to the shot images - are you saying there is no such introductorycourse for directors who want to give their long suffering DOPs a better vision than " make it look like Angelheart in the second half." ?

I think that as a director you need to be able to communicate your vision to the DP so that he can realize it efficiently, but I don't think your DP is going to want to listen to your timing light instructions, or flag placement ideas, or if he should use the 12x12 silk or the 20x20 silk, or which stop to shoot a scene at. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

With 8 years of professional directing experience you should have enough knowledge of lenses and common set lights and gear like dollies to be able to communicate any last minute requests to your DP.

Having a 'make it look like Angel Heart' discussion with your DP in preproduction should be a very good way start. Reviewing other films and paintings together can be very helpful. Your DP will likely not expect you to know how to technically achieve the look your after; that's why you hired him.

I don't know if a course like the one you want exists. Many DP's learn the basics in film school and through reading, and then advance that knowledge through practical use, first on small projects and then larger ones.

You might want to look at the 'Feature Film lighting workshop'  at the  film and television workshops in Maine.

Although i think Tim may have a point there.

Thanks! Thats exactly what I found out for myself. Been corresponding with them on course structure and dates. I can understand where Tim is coming from - but its a personal choice for personal gain! I know I need it!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...