Shutter Speeds

jonnyh1968

Are there any shutter speeds that we should not use at 24p ? I thought I read somewhere one time that 1/24 is bad for some reason. too blurry with tracking movements? Or it will not import nicely into FCP? Any thoughts?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Shutter speeds slower than 1/60 will start to show motion blur. The longer the shutter is open (electronically in this case) the more motion is recorded. High shutter speeds such as 1/250 produce "sharp and snappy" motion representations.

• Premium Member

There's no hard line here because different shots can have different degrees of motion. Obviously for a static shot & subject, you're not really going to tell a difference between 1/24th and 1/200th.

A film camera can do shorter shutter speeds, but a 24 fps, it is usually limited to 1/48th as the longest shutter speed if using a 180 degree shutter. So using a similar shutter speed (1/48th, 1/50th, 1/60th) on your 24P camera is a good idea unless you need more light or want a different motion rendition. 1/24th creates a somewhat smeary motion that is reminiscent of interlaced-scan video. But I find that going to 1/32nd is not too objectionable.

• Premium Member
Are there any shutter speeds that we should not use at 24p ? I thought I read somewhere one time that 1/24 is bad for some reason. too blurry with tracking movements? Or it will not import nicely into FCP? Any thoughts?

Thanks

I just went out to Great Falls last week and shot a bunch of test stuff w/my XL-2. I thought the static shots of the fast moving water (there are falls, rapids and locks) were fabulous in 1/24th. A completely different feel from even 1/48th, let alone faster shutter speeds. The orange grad on the wides might have proven a bit much, however.

• Premium Member
There's no hard line here because different shots can have different degrees of motion. Obviously for a static shot & subject, you're not really going to tell a difference between 1/24th and 1/200th.

You're right, of course. It depends a good deal on what you're shooting. I just use the above numbers as a general guide.