Arri Bayonet to Pl mount adapter

Jason Banker

Hi,

I have just bought 2 optar illumina lenses that need an adapter from arri bayonet to pl mount. On ebay I jumped at the first adapter I saw which seems to be more of a fixed adapter that is held on by 4 screws. Then I noticed someone just posted one that they are calling quick release.

My question is whether its better to buy another fixed style lens or just buy the quick release and use that for both lenses?

Are there any negative sides to using either type?

Would both lenses need to be collimated to the adapter? How does collimation work for a quick release style adapter?

Any help would be great,

thanks

• Premium Member

If you're talking about the tabbed type, then Stephen is correct... they can be sketchy. If it's the twist-lock type, and the adaptor is applied correctly, snugly and it is collimated for having the adaptor you should be fine.

Here is what the guy emailed me about the quick release adapter:

"You have one of the first style PL mounts by the sounds of it. This style simply fits over the ears of the Bayonet mount, then the locking ring is turned and tightens down onto the actual Bayonet ears securing the PL mount in place. If your lenses are collimated correctly, you do NOT need to check the lens each time you put the mount onto one of them. It takes a matter of a few seconds to switch from Bayonet to PL, there are no screwdrivers or allen keys needed."

Does this sound like it would work for the optar lenses?

• Premium Member
Here is what the guy emailed me about the quick release adapter:

"You have one of the first style PL mounts by the sounds of it. This style simply fits over the ears of the Bayonet mount, then the locking ring is turned and tightens down onto the actual Bayonet ears securing the PL mount in place. If your lenses are collimated correctly, you do NOT need to check the lens each time you put the mount onto one of them. It takes a matter of a few seconds to switch from Bayonet to PL, there are no screwdrivers or allen keys needed."

Does this sound like it would work for the optar lenses?

Hi,

I would always advise to check a lens on a collimator if the mount has been changed. An adapter implies 2 extra surfaces. Panavision work to +/- 2 microns, Arri +/- 5 microns. A small bit of dirt can exceed thease measurements.

Cheers,

Stephen Williams Lightring Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member

The one with set screws is more likely to stay snug, but we use the twist-on PL adaptors in our rental department on all of our Bayo-mount lenses. We just collimate and adjust for the adaptor... As long as you keep the mating surfaces clean you'll be swell.

• Premium Member
Hi,

I would always advise to check a lens on a collimator if the mount has been changed. An adapter implies 2 extra surfaces. Panavision work to +/- 2 microns, Arri +/- 5 microns. A small bit of dirt can exceed thease measurements.

Cheers,

Stephen Williams Lightring Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

We usually say +0/-7, but we typically keep it in closer than that and we never let it go plus.