Now I need a lens...

Robert Edge

• Premium Member

I've purchased an A-Minima with a PL mount. Now I need to do something about a lens. I want a solid f4 through f16, which I assume means that I want an f2 or f2.8 lens. The A-Minima is a dedicated super 16 camera, so the lens has to cover that format. I'm looking at three options:

(1) Purchase a used zoom lens that covers at least 16mm-50mm.

(2) Purchase a used prime lens somewhere between 16mm and 25mm and rent others as needed.

(3) Purchase a new zoom or prime lens and arrange with one of the rental houses to rent it out, splitting the rental fee, when I'm not using it.

I'm not really looking for advice about renting v. buying and zooms v. primes. What I'd greatly appreciate are suggestions for specific lenses for each of these options. Also, I'd appreciate comments on placing a lens with a rental house for rental. My only knowledge of such arrangements has to do with ocean-going boats, where it is a fairly common arrangement, but perhaps less than fully relevant to lenses and other camera gear :)

If I buy a used lens, I'm going to want to have it checked. Who in New York, Montreal or Toronto is good at checking/maintaining cine lenses?

• Premium Member
Also, I'd appreciate comments on placing a lens with a rental house for rental.  My only knowledge of such arrangements has to do with ocean-going boats, where it is a fairly common arrangement, but perhaps less than fully relevant to lenses and other camera gear :)

If I buy a used lens, I'm going to want to have it checked.  Who in New York, Montreal or Toronto is good at checking/maintaining cine lenses?

Hi,

Check the last post in this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/dds48

from nmilford (Nathan?) who works for Abel Cinetech in NY. He details how they deal with owners who want to store/maintain/rent their gear through them. He'd be a good person to contact in that regard.

• Premium Member
(1)  Purchase a used zoom lens that covers at least 16mm-50mm.

(2)  Purchase a used prime lens somewhere between 16mm and 25mm and rent others as needed.

(3)  Purchase a new zoom or prime lens and arrange with one of the rental houses to rent it out, splitting the rental fee, when I'm not using it.

Hi,

A great deal depends on how much you want to spend.....

Optex converts the Zeiss 10-100 to a 12-120 T2.4 and the Cooke 9-50 to a 10.8-60 T3. Both of these lenses offer good value/performance.

The Cooke Super 16 Varokinetal 10.4-52mm, Canon 8-64 and Canon 7-63 are all more expensive.

I have used the Minima with Canon 7-63, my feeling to begin with were it was front heavy. However after 2 days of hand holding was not bothered at all.

I would talk to Able Cine in New York, they have many of my suggestions in their rental stock.

Cheers

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

• Premium Member
I have used the Minima with Canon 7-63, my feeling to begin with were it was front heavy. However after 2 days of hand holding was not bothered at all.

Thanks Stephen.

I got the impression from a recent but brief post on cinematography.net that Canon has just come out with, or may soon come out with, a new super16 zoom, but perhaps I misunderstood.

Before buying the camera, I spent some time with an A-Minima going back and forth between a Canon zoom and a Zeiss 25mm. Initially, I much preferred the way the camera felt with the prime. However, after fiddling with the way that I was holding the camera, the balance with the zoom felt much improved. I was with a friend who actually preferred the feel of the camera with the zoom.

Hi,

I know you said you wanted a lens that could go down to 2.8 or so, but you may be interested in this zoom lens designed for the A-Minima. It's slow. But it seems like the best size for the A-Minima. Personally, I would go with the Cooke 10.4-52 (T2.8). It's relativel inexpensive (in comparison to other S-16 zooms) and seems to fit all of your requirements. Anyway, here is the link to the Fujinon Zoom I was speaking of:

http://www.mediumblend.com/abelstore/custo...&cat=130&page=2

Thanks,

Mike Welle

Thanks Stephen.

I got the impression from a recent but brief post on cinematography.net that Canon has just come out with, or may soon come out with, a new super16 zoom, but perhaps I misunderstood.

Before buying the camera, I spent some time with an A-Minima going back and forth between a Canon zoom and a Zeiss 25mm.  Initially, I much preferred the way the camera felt with the prime.  However, after fiddling with the way that I was holding the camera, the balance with the zoom felt much improved.  I was with a friend who actually preferred the feel of the camera with the zoom.

• Premium Member
Thanks Stephen.

Hi,

I think they were talking about the Fuji 10-40 T3.95. I have never seen one but its very very light. One did not sell on Ebay recently for about $5k. I think Mike is right to recomend the Cooke 10.4-52. I am a big fan of Cooke Glass.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

I think they were talking about the Fuji 10-40 T3.95.  I have never seen one but its very very light. One did not sell on Ebay recently for about $5k. I think Mike is right to recomend the Cooke 10.4-52. I am a big fan of Cooke Glass.

Stephen

I REALLY like the Cooke. The Fuji is a silly lens. T3.95... it's very light, but if it were just a stop faster...

Did I mention I really like the Cooke.

• Premium Member

Thanks, this is very helpful.

I've had some discussions with people at Cooke about one of their large format lenses. I was impressed with the compay, and I like the way that they deal with customers.

What prime series should I be looking at?

• Premium Member
What prime series should I be looking at?

Zeiss SuperSpeeds. They're fast and light.

I don't personally recommend the Optars for reasons discussed here.

The S4's are beautiful but bulky for the A-Minima, and there are problems with the PL mount ont he first series of S4's, they aren't consistant and the flanges don't fit properly on the PL mount of the A-Minima. It's weird.

- nathan