What Editing System AND Why?

Jonathan Bryant

Since we rarely talk post production, I would like to see what editing software everyone is using and the reasons they use x system. I will start off by saying I have used Media 100, Avid, Pinnacle, Canopus, IN Sync Speed Razor,DPS Velocity, and etc... But now when I edit something I am using Premiere Pro. The reasons are I can easily import photoshop files (something that was a pain to do in Velocity or Avid. I also like its intergration with After Effects, its inexpensive and provides realtime effects out to a dv deck without realtime hardware. I think it also has great color correction for its price. Sometimes I think that if I had to use Avid I could become faster though and I really like the new multicam feature, though does it offer realtime out to dv? And Final Cut seems like maybe a step ahead of Premiere, with native editing in almost any codec,128 multicam editing!,sleek interface, rt extreme, and that great motion graphics program Motion. It is hard to say who is number one in low cost video editing software. Any thoughts on what you use and why would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy.

I use Sony (formaly Sonic Foundry) Vegas+DVD, version 5. Soon to upgrade to V6. I bought it originally, back when Sonic Foundry was the name on the box, because it came with 5.1 Dolby Digital mixing and output, integrated DVD authoring (though basic) had some great audio mixing tools and lots of other features. I used and still use Soundforge in college, so the interface was very similiar. It does only have one preview window, but i've gotten used to it having edited a feature with it. Honestly, i really love the program, and as far as i know, V6 can import layerd psd's, and i think it has real time effects output to DV aswell. It also has all the HiDef features Sony are pushing. I don't have a HiDef camera so it's bugger all use to me at the moment! I have used Premiere before, but while i use Photoshop constantly, and think it's a brilliant program, Premiere can annoy me sometimes. As an aside, i tried to open a 3Gb DV file in Premiere 6.5, i think, and it crashed it repeatedly. Vegas V4 opened it in a few seconds, and was happy to scrub through it as much as i liked. No idead what Premiere Pro is capable of, only "played" with it once! And i use Avid DV Express in college. Hate it. Sorry Avid. I try to edit everything at home. Hope this is useful.

Regards

Can someone tell me why my post got shoved in the off topic forum? I don't see why this was removed from the general discussion when it slearly says post stuff in general discussion when it doesn't fit in any other forum. I am frustrated because I felt like this would be a interesting post to say the least and I am sure not everyone on here only does production work. It is just disheartening when I offer my years of advice to people yet alot of my posts don't get answered or they are moved into forums less traveled. When I see someone who posted a question that no one really has tried to answer I feel like we should atleast post some type of answer even if its been answered before, doesn't quite fit the forum, or even if we don't have an expert oppinion. SO kudos to all you guys out there that try your best at answering questions and are always trying to contribute to the forum.

I use Sony Vegas 6 and DVD Architect 3 with Procoder on a PC

Along with Combustion 4, 3ds Max, Photoshop, Illustrator, plus the audio stuff like Sound Forge, Acid, Sonar, Reason etc....

Why?

Sony software has never crashed on me once. I've found that editors are really much the same so you're not really missing out with one or the other if you invest in a good one like Sony Vegas, Premiere, FCP...

Vegas handles 24P footage without any problems or hassles so that is a big plus.

The workflow is great - I spend far less time going through menus and you can run and create custom scripts for the boring stuff.

I frameserve from vegas to combustion and procoder.

Combusiton is everything I need in a compositor and it works in conjunction with 3ds Max - and After Effects is like learning how to speak Arabic - very steep curve. (although alot of people like the adobe workflow)

Photoshop because what else is there? and Illustrator because it works with photoshop, but I rarely use illustrator.

Sony audio programs because they all tie in with vegas and the format and workflow is very similar so it's kind of like using a different branch of the same program if you catch my drift. I use Sonar because I grew up using cakewalk software (cubase used to crash on me) so why go changing if you're still pumping out good tunes?

I've read a million reviews and articles on how some programs are better than others, and that this and that is the industry leader.

I think it comes down to how you like to work. I gel with Sony's workflow. I can't get along with the Adobe workflow (though photoshop is a necessary evil).

I think, as with anything, it comes down to the operator - great editor with average equipment will produce some pretty amazing stuff. Bad editor with the world at his/her disposal with still produce crap. :)

Yes, another good thing I've noticed, thanks to Matt fo reminding me, Vegas rerely crashes, only 2 incidents come to mind in the years i've been using it. It just seems excessively stable. I too use Photoshop extensively. It is also damn fine at what it does.

Which reminds me, Matt, is DVD Architect V3 a huge improvement over V2?

regards,

I use FCP mostly, but sometimes Avid (but only because that's what's on the school computers). All NLE's are pretty much the same for what I use them for, which is basic editing. The interface is the big difference between them. For any color correction or motion effects I use AE, with Photoshop and Illustrator for graphic support. I'd rather stick with all Adobe products because Adobe is a solid company that's been around for decades and they don't sell broken products, but Premiere Pro never made it to OSX. :(

Cillian, I find it is definately a worth while upgrade. I haven't used architect 2 so I've forgotten most of the improvements, but dvda3 does burn dual layer discs, and also gives you the choice of where the layer break is.

You can set up the menu loop exactly the way you want - I think I remember being restricted with this in version 2.

It takes photoshop files (but then maybe version 2 does as well?)

Matt,

I've never tried to bring in PSD's to V2, but i don't remember seeing any option to, I never noticed it in the "file type" dialogue box, anyway. In the press release for v6/DVDv3 i noticed Sony pushing the fact that it took in PSD's, so I'd assume that v2 doesn't. I could easily sort this by checking my version, couldn't I?!?!?! In work now, so I'll check for my own piece of mind later! I didn't know about the layer transition position or menu loop seetings in v3, though, it'd be very useful.

Cheers for the info.

Regards,