Sony PD170

Guest double02

Guest double02

Hey there,

I'm about to purchase my first prosumer camera and have been keeping an eye on the pd150, but I just saw the pd170 for less than a used pd150. After talking to a friend who is a DP he was explaining to me that because of all the HD cameras that will soon be flooding the market, Sony needed to lower the price to retain market share.

At any rate I had a question about for "export" only cameras. If I were to by one of these cameras is there any way for me to get a US warranty? I know that a lot of the camera warehouses will offer a 3 year $750 warranty, but would it be comprehensive? The camera itself is listed at $1909 for a brand new pd170. I haven't been able to call into the shop yet because they are on holiday until the 14th.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Thanks for taking time to read my post.

Cheers,

Evan

Be careful to only deal with a reputable retailer. Some places offer prices that appear to good to be true and usually are. Broadway Video is one store with which many people have had problems. If a reputable dealer such as Adorama, B&H or Armatos offers you their own warranty, then I wouldn't worry.

Guest double02

Thanks Mitch for your insight. The shop I'm eluding to is A and M Photo World. I read in the company info area that the products "may" have a US warranty. That makes me a little wary, but I need to speak to them on the phone.

Thanks again,

Evan

• Premium Member

Hi,

I've now actually beein in B&H, and I have to say I found the service so indifferent as to border on insulting. Hello, yes, can I please buy things from you? Pardon me for asking. And that preposterous rigmarole they go through to allow you to order, pick up and pay for your goods...

Phil

I've now actually beein in B&H, and I have to say I found the service so indifferent as to border on insulting.

Perhaps, but they are a huge operation as I'm sure you witnessed. And they are very competitive with prices, stock a good quantity of what they sell and are impeccably honest. I'll generally only purchase from little Mom & Pop boutique shops where I can get to personally know the vendors or I'll buy from B&H.