24P in PAL-land

kiwifilm

I live and work in PAL-land (mostly) but I have a client wanting me to shoot a project in 24P - we will be travelling to the location and the client will bring a DVX-100a 24P camera with him - so I have no chance of hands on beforehand (can only see the PAL version here).

Looking at the manual, I see that the standard shutter for the 24P set up is 1/50th.

Normally for 60i the standard shutter is 1/60, but shooting at 1/50th would be great to compensate for 50Hz lighting (and usually unavailable so we get stuck with 1/100th with nearly a whole stop lost).

But my guess is that 1/50th @ 24P is correct to compensate for 60 Hz lighting - am I correct?

If so, has anybody had experience shooting 24P in PAL-land? And if so, what shutter speeds work to compensate for the 50 Hz sine fluorescent and other light sources. And then what about different scans on computer monitors? (This client is a technology client so fluorescent available light spaces with computers will be big in the story!)

Rgds

Justin Keen

Hong Kong

p.s. 25P is not an option.

• Premium Member

If you're in 60i mode, I don't think you can drop to 1/50th of a second.

But at 24P mode, I believe you can select 1/50th. Always select a shutter speed -- don't just hope or assume that it's the default.

1/50th is 1/50th, no matter if the camera speed is 24 or 25 fps. Yes, it's a good shutter speed for shooting under 50 hz lighting. If 1/25th was an option, it might also work in low-light.

As for computer monitors, if they are LCD, it's not a problem. If they are CRT, then you'd have to adjust the shutter speed in increments until you lost the roll bar, which may not be the same speed that is safe for other monitors in the shot or the overhead fluorescents.