8mm digitise

sneeze proof

ok so I've read up on the subject a bit

I understand you can project the film onto a screen and then video tape it (I'd be using dvcam).

I've read there's an issue with flicker due to the 30fps thing. What are the issues with PAL video?

I've also read you can get the film scanned, but I imagine this would cost a fair amount.

What's the quality like if you shoot a projection with a digital video camera, and how does that cope with being processed in post?

• Premium Member

Rephotographing a Super-8 image while it is being projected is a rather crude way of doing a transfer, best reserved for when you want that look of an image playing on a surface for experimental reasons. It would probably pulse a little.

You can get fairly cheap transfers at places with a film chain (basically a projector and a camera pointed at each other with a box inbetween. Quality varies quite a bit; a place like Yale Labs used to do fairly OK ones like that.

Beyond that, you're talking about using a real telecine with a Super-8 gate, which is pretty expensive.

ah ok

that makes more sense

I guess it will probably be cheaper and much better quality to get a production house to do the conversion rather than hire a projector and shoot a wall.

Then you can just import the files into a NLE and edit it as usual yes?

Is there anything about the footage I should be aware of before I go through the edit and grading process?

Edited by sneeze proof