Arri 2c and 2b

Guest C.D. Melville

Guest C.D. Melville

I recently purchased, what was advertised as an Arriflex 2c and on getting it home and on closer inspection I observe that the eyepeice on the camera has the arrirflex 2b type and not the adjustable anamorphic eyepeice as the arri 2c which leaves me questioning if indeed it is a arri 2c or a arri 2b. The guy I purchased the camera off said it was an Arri 2c but should I take his word becuase maybe he does not know the difference too. Does anyone know how I can tell by looking at the camera.??

hi there-

2Cs don't normally have an anamorphic finder, just the regular one that you can open and close. The 2C finder does have the standard screw-on eyepiece (just like the arri sr, s, m, bl, etc.) where the 2B had a non-removeable eyepiece (well, i guess you could pull it out of the tube if you wanted).

look on the non-finder side of the camera, there should be a small inscription which says II-C or II-B.

Guest C.D. Melville
hi there-

2Cs don't normally have an anamorphic finder, just the regular one that you can open and close. The 2C finder does have the standard screw-on eyepiece (just like the arri sr, s, m, bl, etc.) where the 2B had a non-removeable eyepiece (well, i guess you could pull it out of the tube if you wanted).

look on the non-finder side of the camera, there should be a small inscription which says II-C or II-B.

Hi Patric Thank for the advice. I looked on the none finder side but found nothing. The finder also is non-removable 2b kind and the mounts on the turrets are all arri standard mount, so this makes think. The ground glass inside says 1:1.75. I have to find out because I will send it back if it is not 2c.

Thanks again Colin

I recently purchased, what was advertised as an Arriflex 2c and on getting it home and on closer inspection I observe that the eyepeice on the camera has the arrirflex 2b type and not the adjustable anamorphic eyepeice as the arri 2c  which leaves me questioning if indeed it is a arri 2c or a arri 2b. The guy I purchased the camera off said it was an Arri 2c but should I take his word becuase maybe he does not know the difference too.  Does anyone know how I can tell by looking at the camera.??

The ground glass in the IIC is interchangable, the ground glass in the IIB and IIA is not.

The IIC viewfinfer shows the scope aperture, 18.7x22mm. 1.175/1

The IIB finder only shows the academy aperture, 16x22mm. 1.37/1

---LV

• Premium Member

Hey now,

It gets worse. Arri's can end up with a hodge-podge of parts spanning the whole range of Arri II production. Fortunately, folks like Visual Products and equivalent can alter the unit to whatever you need from it... if you have the money. I finally snatched a IIc door and periscope for my IIB off of Ebay. It took a year of waiting to get them. That's what it's like to be an Arri II owner. Welcome to the club! :D