Amazing Shot from PI / Lock-Stock

jon_smith

Hey everybody. I need to know what the "professional title" for the famous shot used in PI is called (It's also in Lock/Stock and a few other goodies). I've been told its name a few times but I always forget, and now I'm going to attempt to use it in my next movie. It's the one where the camera is somehow mounted on the actor, so that when he moves, he stays in the same place while everything moves around him.

Thanks everybody!

Edited by jon_smith

Also used quite a bit in "Requiem for a Dream." I wonder if he was able to resist it in "The Fountain"? Still looking forward to it.

I had a shoot last week where someone bolted upright in bed, as if from a nightmare, and it woulda been perfect for that. You'd see an overhead shot the person, eyes closed and asleep, then next thing you know they're sitting up, but the camera POV never changed, only the background did. I'm thinking I saw that somewhere before. . .

• Premium Member
Hey everybody. I need to know what the "professional title" for the famous shot used in PI is called (It's also in Lock/Stock and a few other goodies). I've been told its name a few times but I always forget, and now I'm going to attempt to use it in my next movie. It's the one where the camera is somehow mounted on the actor, so that when he moves, he stays in the same place while everything moves around him.

Thanks everybody!

A body-mounted camera was used to brilliant effect in the film, "Touching the Void". If you haven't seen it, you should.

There is a famous experimental short made in Germany in 1967/68, it is called KASSEL 9.12.1967, 11.45. At that time (Dec 12 1967) filmmaker Adolf Winkelmann started walking through the town of Kassel with his strange body mount that held his 16mm camera at a fixed distance.

Very funny reactions by people looking at the guy with that strapped-on camera.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0321083/

I've actually made my own. All I needed was a tripod. I placed two of the legs on either hip bone, and held the third leg steadily to my chest. It works quite well, but I need to find a way to support it so my hands are free to move. Some sort of belt system around the body? any suggestions?

• Premium Member
I had a shoot last week where someone bolted upright in bed, as if from a nightmare, and it woulda been perfect for that.  You'd see an overhead shot the person, eyes closed and asleep, then next thing you know they're sitting up, but the camera POV never changed, only the background did.  I'm thinking I saw that somewhere before. . .

Nope, never been done before, you blew it, you could have been the first, instead you've now told the world via this thread.