Front Projection

Elisheba Monte

Hello all,

I have been doing a bit of reading on front projection lately and it seems as though, even though it's an old system, there are still some people that put it to use.

Who uses it and why? Are there some cases where it would be better than greenscreen? I am very interested in learning how to use this system as I have one available to me but if greenscreen has entirely taken over, I would rather spend my time learning how to do that well.

Thanks

As far as process goes, I think more tend to go for rear projection which gives you in camera reflections. Shows like 24 and films like ARE WE THERE YET? showcase this. I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw front projection in a recent production.

Front projection does not require post production work like greenscreen. That means it has certain advantages if you are shooting for cinema release - you do not have to go through the digital matting process.

FP needs less projection light than RP and it is easier to avoid hot spots.

Of course FP has its limitations, but you get what you see through the camera, and Scotchlite is not that expensive - unless you want to rival CLOSE ENCOUNTERS with its 100 ft. FP screen...

FP is perfect for black+white, look what Lars von Trier did with it (also some RP in that movie) on EUROPA.

When you have a FP screen, it becomes a perfectly lit monochrome background for greenscreen or bluescreen - just put a coloured filter in the projector.