Projectors 1280x720 do they degrade the image?

Alex Lindblom

Can somebody please explain this to me, I am going crazy thinking about it?

Projectors in the native 1280x720 format when they play back a DVD in 720x576/480. Do they have to rescale it to fit to the larger matrix, and by doing so actually degrading the picture quality?

If it so why aren?t anybody producing 720x576 chips?

And also how does the DLP chips in 858 x 480 deal whit the, higher resolution of PAL DVD?s?

you can't watch a DVD image that is not rescaled, even if you have a PAL resolution TV because the picture is mostly anamorphic, which means it has to be stretched to 1024x576 in order for you to see it. So it is always degraded (softened) no matter what display you use

Yes...

But an anamorphic DVD in 1.78:1 still uses the full resolution of 720x576/480 and no scaling is used with a normal widescreen CRT TV, it?s not much different from using an anamorphic lenses in theatres to un squeeze the image ( the principal not the quality ).

Edited by Alex Lindblom

Yes...

But an anamorphic DVD in 1.78:1 still uses the full resolution of 720x576/480 and no scaling is used with a normal widescreen CRT TV, it?s not much different from using an anamorphic lenses in theatres to un squeeze the image ( the principal not the quality ).

Yes, I forgot about widescreen SD TV's.