"Up-rez" a Standard PAL 16:9 signal to HD

danny bartle

Hello to everyone...

I own a Sony PDX10P PAL 3CCD model, which has the wide CCD sensor which gives you a full res 16:9 image(1024x576). Now can this signal be converted into a HD signal with ok results? Is there a device or software/hardware that can do this or if there isn't, will there be something available in the future?

Thanks to all who reply....

It's been done but only with fairly middling results. The DVX100A yielded better uprezzing results.

You don't want to own the necessary gear. Very expensive. Edit and complete your piece in SD and then pay to have it upconverted.

• Premium Member

The PAL PDX10 still records the 16:9 signal as PAL, meaning that it's 720 x 576 pixels, not 1024 pixels across. 16:9 and 4:3 have the same pixel resolution in standard def, which is why 16:9 recordings appear squeezed on a 4:3 monitor -- the number of pixels are the same, it's just that the 16:9 ones are not square.

The advantage of shooting and recording 16:9 is that you aren't cropping a 4:3 720 x 576 image in PAL to create 16:9 after the fact. You get to keep all the vertical pixel resolution.

The PDX10 allows you to use more pixels on the CCD horizontally for 16:9 but less vertically than 4:3 (imagine a cross shape when you overlay the 16:9 and 4:3 picture areas on the CCD). So ultimately, this allows 16:9 and 4:3 to use similar TOTAL pixels compared to a camera that crops the 4:3 CCD to create 16:9. However, the RECORDING is always PAL, which is 720 x 576 pixels no matter how many pixels the CCD has.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was almost certain the PDX10P when recorded in 16:9 mode gave you an output image of 1024x576. Whenever I import clips into my PC & when I click on the properties on the clip, it comes up saying its a 1024x576 image... Please someone correct me if I have this wrong as I was almost certain this was true, hence the reason why this camera is quite popular...

• Premium Member

Well, you're wrong -- it's a PAL camera. What video recording format is 1024 x 576??? Your computer may be expanding it from 720 to 1024 pixels in order to unsqueeze the recording for display.

The reason that it's popular is that it's the only consumer camera (other than the JVC HD camera, which has true 16:9 CCD's) not to simply crop and stretch a 4:3 CCD to create 16:9. Instead it has a slightly oversized CCD that allows you to expose a 16:9 image across it or a less wide but more vertical 4:3 image. The 16:9 image is then converted to anamorphic 720 x 576 pixels for recording to PAL.