Sending DVD to Broadcaster

I am sending my new Documentary to a couple broadcasters here and in Europe. Any suggestions as to what to say and what not to say in the letter? Or any professional letter will do, it's the movie that speaks for it self. Just wondering. Should I include a resume ? etc...

• 2 months later...
I am sending my new Documentary to a couple broadcasters here and in Europe. Any suggestions as to what to say and what not to say in the letter? Or any professional letter will do, it's the movie that speaks for it self. Just wondering. Should I include a resume ? etc...

I would make the DVD under 5 minutes. You might wanna call them and take them out to lunch or something. Ther Radio and TV stations here in the states that I have been aroung and worked at I notice they get tons of submited material, alot of it gets thrown away not even looked at. And alot of stations don't have almost any free airtime to work you in.

I would say call them ask for a tour get to know them, And like I said feed them :) Alot of stations always have slow news days and would love to work you doc in a story(IF its interesting and different ie NEW NEWS) from there you might could work it into airing. Just like direct mail advertising you have to be different from the others and get their attention. And help them out in some way. That may be as I said giving them a news story,taking a salesman out to lunch which gives you ample opportunity to get someone at the station excited about your doc.

Forget the letter, the sales department runs the station, just talk to them. If you can get a couple of sponsors then your golden. Also I would choose which stations to target based on the what the subject matter of the doc is and what age range it would attract.

You are selling your doc, so first rule in sales narrow down your prospects by avoiding the ones least likely to say yes. Good luck