Travel documentary...for Tv and Dvd

For still photos, I notice that a lot of Travel Magazines still insist on Medium Format for still photographs. Also, Playboy still use Medium Format for the centrefold and the cover.

I am not content to use video (of whatever format) for a travel documentary.

So what format do they shoot most travel docos in? eg Lonely Planet's Six Degrees?

Editing problems aside, would super 8mm (in a proper DS8 camera) with the right film be ok? Or would 16mm? Or Super 16?

• Premium Member

Well, if sharp, fine-grain medium format photography is your model, then Super-8 is farther off the mark than HD origination...

Travel shows are shot in all sorts of formats. Some of the cheaper ones use a mix of consumer DV and pro video, some occasionally throw an arty, grainy Super-8 shot in, some are shot in HD (some progressive scan, some interlaced scan), some in Super-16.

Many of Michael Palin's travel series were shot in Super-16, although I don't know about "Himalaya", his last one.

Sort of depends on the station buying it and what they want. Some will take Super-16 transferred to HD, some prefer 1080i HD origination, some would take 24P HD, etc. Some accept consumer DV.

Super-16 or HD is probably the best choice for a high-end travel show with a lot of production value.

Personally, I like the documentary "look" that super 8 and 16mm offers. I think the grainy, hand held look has a news camera appeal that most consider quite beautiful and nostalgic. Artistically this can add even more production value than slick 35mm at less cost.

I use Spectra Film and Video for anything that demands a stylized look with 8, 16 or 35mm formats. They have film, processing and telecine packages done in-house. I recommend that you give them a call for advice. ;)

• Premium Member
For still photos, I notice that a lot of Travel Magazines still insist on Medium Format for still photographs. Also, Playboy still use Medium Format for the centrefold and the cover.

I am not content to use video (of whatever format) for a travel documentary.

So what format do they shoot most travel docos in? eg Lonely Planet's Six Degrees?

Editing problems aside, would super 8mm (in a proper DS8 camera) with the right film be ok? Or would 16mm? Or Super 16?

As television moves to HD, using a 16:9 aspect ratio is almost becoming standard. Even SD travelog DVDs are often letterboxed. Super-16 is well suited and widely used for documentary production. I've seen Super-8 used for segments where a "home movie look" was desired.

http://www.kodak.com/go/16mm