All but giving up Super 8

Scot McPhie

I used to actually pull out a loop of film and then turn the cartridge spindle which would make the loop disappear in the process.  However, on the 3 latest Ektachrome 64 film the film moved through very smoothly by merely advancing the cartridge spindle, no loop was necessary.

What is a dogleg?

Sorry- not a dogleg (bend) more a hairpin bend! The film bends 180deg around a moulded post in the cart before winding onto the takeup spool. It does on the feed side too but there there is a little roller to ease its progress. The design on the takeup side is meant to offer resistance to the take up drive to prevent the film being dragged through the gate after pulldown- so it shouldn't really be easy to wind on the film by hand!

Mark

Edited by sparky

• Premium Member

Sorry- not a dogleg (bend) more a hairpin bend! The film bends 180deg around a moulded post in the cart before winding onto the takeup spool. It does on the feed side too but there there is a little roller to ease its progress. The design on the takeup side is meant to offer resistance to the take up drive to prevent the film being dragged through the gate after pulldown- so it shouldn't really be easy to wind on the film by hand!

Mark

Are you getting theoretical on me or have you actually tried to advance a cartridge spindle? The last three I tried were the Ektachrome 64's and they moved very easily.

Are you getting theoretical on me or have you actually tried to advance a cartridge spindle?  The last three I tried were the Ektachrome 64's and they moved very easily.

No I'm talking practical, and theres a good reason for it. Do you mean that its easy to actually pull film all the way through the cart by turning the hub, or to wind in a loop that you made in the gate window? Or just taking up the slack?

Mark

• Premium Member
No I'm talking practical, and theres a good reason for it. Do you mean that its easy to actually pull film all the way through the cart by turning the hub, or to wind in a loop that you made in the gate window? Or just taking up the slack?

Mark

On the 3 Ektachrome 64 cartridges I received from Kodak I turned the cartridge spindle in a clockwise direction, about 3-4 turns, the spindle turned very smoothly and very easily to. To me, it just felt like the Ektachrome film was lubricated really well.

When I try to advance a Kodachrome cartridge with an expiration date of 03/2003, it actually sounds like the film is binding to the cartridge internals, as I turn the spindle the film makes these sounds kind of like a girl trying to fit into a super tight pair of jeans.

On the 3 Ektachrome 64 cartridges I received from Kodak I turned the cartridge spindle in a clockwise direction, about 3-4 turns, the spindle turned very smoothly and very easily to.  To me, it just felt like the Ektachrome film was lubricated really well. 

When I try to advance a Kodachrome cartridge with an expiration date of 03/2003, it actually sounds like the film is binding to the cartridge internals, as I turn the spindle the film makes these sounds kind of like a girl trying to fit into a super tight pair of jeans.

Thats weird- all the carts I have tried have been like your K40- didn't try the E64T though. Perhaps they are OVER lubricated! The 64T I shot was a little less steady (but not much) than the K40- perhaps the design isn't isolating the drive from the gate enough?

Mark

• Premium Member
Thats weird- all the carts I have tried have been like your K40- didn't try the E64T though. Perhaps they are OVER lubricated! The 64T I shot was a little less steady (but not much) than the K40- perhaps the design isn't isolating the drive from the gate enough?

Mark

Were all, most, or some of your shots tripod mounted?

OK I'm judging this by the frame line- its possible that the film perfs were not perfect on this pre-production run. All my shots were tripod mounted and they both looked fine projected so it maybe a non-issue.

Mark