Film speeds for Focal XL-303

Jacob Hahn

I recently picked up a Focal XL-303 for cheap on eBay, including the box and manual. The camera is noisy but seems to fully work. However, when reading through the manual, I noticed a line that states that in the camera “any Super 8 film with ASA 25/40 & 100/160 may be used. The meter automatically adjusts.”

In terms of modern color negative Super 8 film, all that seems to be produced is 50 and 500 ISO film. This doesn’t fit the 25, 40, 100, or 160 ASA requirement of the camera according to the manual.

My question is: Will the meter of the camera adjust to 50 or 500 ISO film even though the manual does not list it?

The camera will expose the Kodak Vision 3 50D negative film stock as ISO 40/17°. The difference (1°)  to the real film speed (ISO 50/18°) is not more than 1/3 f-stop. This daviation should be no problem.

Kodak Vision 3 200T (ISO 200/24°) will be exposed as ISO 160/23°. A difference of 1° = 1/3 f-stop again and also no problem.

Problematic deviation with Kodak Vision 500T: Exposed as ISO 160/23°, the difference to ISO 500/28° is 5° = 1 2/3 f-stop!

• 2 weeks later...

You could also try Ektachrome 100D color reversal, and see how your camera responds. This is a beautiful stock projected on the big screen. It does seem to like more light than it's recommended 100 ASA box speed. I tend to expose it at 80 ASA with good results. At box speed it's a bit too dark and not as sharp. The new 7294 is almost grain-less compared to the Ektachrome it replaced. Plus the colors projected are very vivid and accurate. 

Edited by Shane C Collins