Freud

The Godfather Part II

The Pawnbroker

And three films that use a unique twist for a flashback

Clockers

The Boston Stranger

25th Hour

• Premium Member

Any of the Highlander movies, as well as the TV show have flashbacks in abundance, and were all very well shot. Dark City, also might be something to check out. That's all I can add off the top of my head that's not already above.

• Premium Member

Oh my goodness, there are SO many movies with these kind of flashbacks there are too many to count. I think the challenge really becomes trying to avoid the cliches. To that end, the transition into the flashback becomes just as important as the look of the flashback itself. The transitions in Snow Falling On Cedars were beautiful and poetic.

Is the flashback on screen supposed to be literally a memory of a character, and we're seeing what he/she remembers, or does the flashback maintain a third person POV? This has a lot to do with how stylized or impressionistic you want to get with the look. For example if it's a memory, then that's license to get as stylized as you want with the look, since it's literally an impression. But if it's just a jump back in the story's timeline, then the look probably should have some kind of continuity with the remainder of the film.

Instead I might focus on both the POV of the flashback and the feeling you want to create, and let that be your guide to develop a look for the flashbacks. I know that wasn't your question, but at least with this approach you create something honest. ;)

• Premium Member

All that said... :P

A couple films come to mind. Soderbergh created some pretty powerful and emotional memories in Solaris, using crosscutting and overlapping sound apparently borrowed from Nicholas Roeg.

I've been in an 80's mood lately, and screened Less Than Zero a couple times recently. There's a simple expository flashback/memory near the beginning where the camera dollies around Andrew Macarthy sitting on his bed, and we simply cut to a scene in black and white. The continuity of music and the crosscutting pull the two scenes together. Simple and effective, if a little dated looking now.