Please test out my film calculator software (Beta)

Scot McPhie

I've written a programme to calculate running times and lengths for various film stocks - it's much like the Kodak Film Calculator except you can also factor in cost of purchase, development and telecine.

You can also estimate file sizes for capture to PC with various codecs - which would be useful for people shooting only video as well as those telecining film.

Anyway it's in a beta release now - if anyone would like to give it a go and give me some feedback.

I think the results should be accurate (but can't be guaranteed yet) they seem to tally pretty well with what's on the kodak site - except some of the metre results are slightly out as the Kodak site doesn't quite have the conversion rate right (1 foot = 0.3048 metres not 0.3).

For Super 8 the programme will also allow you to work in cartridges rather than just feet or metres.

I'll put some screen shots up etc later - any feedback or errors please let me know -- BTW it's got a very simple interface (intentionally!)

http://www.mango-a-gogo.com/filmulator.zip

- it's only 26Kb - it'a a dos executable

- I should mention too the save function doesn't work yet

Sorry no Mac version - my programmnig skills are about 20 years behind the current state! (hence the simple interface on the prog) -- aren't there ways you canrun DOS programmes on Macs -- if you have got a simple basic complier I could send you the source code and you could compile it I guess

Scot